Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I have been lurking for a while and just decided to register. I've been shooting Marlins since 1968 when I got my first whitetail with Dad's 336. That Christmas Santa brought me a new Golden 39A. I still have it. I got hooked on the .41 mag caliber when I lived in Wyoming. It was the smallest legal caliber for handgun big game hunting. I have purchased one of the Marlins everytime they come out in .41 mag and love all three of them.
From the top:
1987 1894S
1999 1894CCL
2003 1894FG

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Nice looking set of rifles you have there. Would be interesting to hear about your .41 Mag hunting experiences if you would be willing to share.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dcj10,
Welcome aboard. I've got copies of your bottom two rifles and really am pleased with them, too. Also, have the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk and S&W Model 57 to be their companions. :D 8)
Rich

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
dcj10,

[/quote]Would be interesting to hear about your .41 Mag hunting experiences if you would be willing to share.
Ditto what LoveMyMarlins said. Please, do tell.

G

·
I also am a big fan of the .41 Mag. I have two Marlin 1894S rifles in .41 Mag. They both shoot accurately, with both cast and jacketed bullets. Have killed Mule deer and Black bear with mine. They go perfectly for combo carry with my S&W 57 & RBH .41 Mag.

L.W. (Leanwolf)

G

·
I am extremely envious of your collection! Especially the top two; I much prefer the older style marlins with the straight stock and no checkering. Myself, I have a Dan Wesson in 41 mag, and am thinking about picking up am FG, but I'm waiting to see if I can't find an older one.

G

·
There is a Marlin 1894 CCL in 41 mag on gunbroker.com. It does not look like it will go cheap but they are hard to find.

G

·
Here's one of mine. The other is just like it but with Lyman 66 Receiver Sights.

Yep, sure like those .41 Marlins.

L.W. (The original, one and only, Leanwolf.)[/img]

G

·
Oh well... even though I'm registered, I can't anything posted by my moniker, nor can I post a picture, other than to get the dreaded "Red X In A Square." Might as well quit. Good luck to all.

L.W. (The original, one and only, Leanwolf.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jaycocreek, thanks for that posting of my .41 Mag. marlin! I don't know what happened as I've posted pictures from "hunt101.com" on other sites and they show up just fine.

I've reregistered (again) so will see if this works as "L.W.", instead of "Guest."

Things are okay here in s.w. Idaho. I'm going over to the Featherville area next Monday with a couple of hunting partners to look around. Might put in for that Unit 43 to see if we can be drawn for a Controlled Bull Elk tag this fall. Who knows????

Have you taken your trip up through the Red River Canyon and on over the Old Montana Road, to Montana, yet?? If so, did you see any game??

Thanks. L.W.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Leanwolf-My folks have a place not far from Featherville at the North End of Magic.We used to hunt Soldiers mountain and the area alot when I was growing up.I haven't made the trip yet as there is still about two feet of snow last week just 5 miles out of town but it's going fast.Probably the first week of June we will be headin that way to check it out for a few days.But yikes on the gas prices and just driving around.It went to 2.07 a gallon here in Grangeville yesterday.I need a Mazda rather than my fifthwheel pulling Ford gas hog.

Best of luck.Jayco.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Enough foot dragging, I've ordered an FG! Looks like they don't come set up for a receiver sight unlike some of the other models that appear to have a half dozen screws on the left side. I like tang peeps, but it would be nice to have the option.

Who's using Lil'Gun in their rifles? I intend to stick with 800X for 170gr bullets and Lil'Gun for 210's and up, other shotgun powders for mid range. What data I can find for using a given powder seems to be just the developed handgun loads tried out in the rifles. In some cases the pressure peaks are lower....anyone seen Lil'Gun data for a .41 in a Marlin?

I haven't figured out how to post my Bisley for sale, my system shows that "locked". What's the procedure?

kgb

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
kgb,

I've been using Lil'gun powder in my FG for about a year now after being a hard-core user of H110 in all my previous .41 loads. 20.5 grains of Lil'gun puts Hornady 210 grain XTP bullets out of my FG at 1750 fps with no signs of excessive pressure and five shot groups under 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. Most recently, I've been working with LBT cast bullets that are supposed to be 220 grains but come out of my mould at 225. Charges of Lil'gun from 17 to 19 grains have given me chronographed velocities for five shots with less than 10 fps extreme spread! If there's a better powder to use in the 1894 FG, at least mine, I haven't found it. Of course, safe charges in my rifle may not be safe in yours. All my loads have used Remington 2 1/2 primers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Retro, I've wondered a lot about the primer requirements with the slow burning powders. Many seem to have no problem with standard primers but it's probably best to play it safe. Hodgdon doesn't like bullets under 210gr with Lil'Gun but I got 170gr bullets to over 2000 fps in a 14" Contender barrel with nothing bad showing in the brass. Still, I'll stick to 800X with those and Lil'Gun for 210's and up. I've shot 1lb of 296 and 1lb of H110, both left residue beyond the normal fouling and Lil'Gun's been nice so far.

I handload mostly, but today found some of the 240gr Winchester rounds for 14.99 per 20 and had to pick them up. Can't wait to see what they do and I re-installed a scope on the 657 to cut down some of the operator error. Eventually I plan on trying out some of the heavy lead cast bullets, so much good stuff has been said about them.

I thought I had a Marlin on order, turns out all of the distributors have them on back order. You can probably guess how that feels, it's not good! My dealer told me he thought the stocks were european walnut instead of American. We'll see and hopefully soon.

kgb

·
Registered
2 Posts
dcj10,

Nice picture! I just got my FG about 2 months ago and am still breaking it in.

I mounted a Cabelas red dot sight on it (with 4 reticles) for my old tired eyes.

Have tried 3 different commercial loads through it with pretty good results. Am just starting to reload for it and my S&W 57, using both Red Dot and Herco with 200 grain jacketed HPs.

Enjoy your FG.

Carl

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here's my son shooting my .41 1894 in May before I went back to Iraq.

She likes 210 JHPs and H110 the best. Still looking for a very accurate 215 LSWC load.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts