Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a semi auto in 22 mag. A already have a bolt. I think I've narrowed it down to the Marlin 922 from an online auction, or the CZ 512.

I have a couple of questions about each. Since 922 would likely be 20 years old or more I'm wondering how much rehab will need to be done. I gather that the buffer will need to be replaced, but is there anything else I can count on it needing? I'm no gunsmith. Also, what are your experiences with cycling? And what kind of accuracy can you get at 100 yards?

If anyone has a CZ 512 I would also be very interested in your opinions. I've read in various threads that people like the accuracy, but concerns are 1) aluminum receiver not being stout enough to keep scope mounts secure, 2) safety needs to be off to feed the first cartridge, and 3) some thought the gun was not particularly solid.

I really appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Introduce yourself in the new member forum - and welcome to the MO from SC.

Use the advanced search feature to search just the rimfire forum. It works well.

With regard to the two rifles, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Honestly, if you've got the money, go ahead and invest in the CZ. I do not have a 512 nor do I personally know anyone who does but I do have a 455 FS in 22 Mag and I love it - it's a quality made rifle and, as I understand it, the mags on the new 512 are supposed to interchange which I find absolutely fascinating. I'll probably invest in a 512 one day just for the coolness factor of having a 22 mag semi and bolty that can interchange each other's mags.

The 922 is a fine rifle, although discontinued, and therein is where the problem lies IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
15,869 Posts
See that black bar above your first post in the is search forum, a bit higher up you can do an advanced search located in the bigger black bar over on the right hand side

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's and the hospitality. Gallo, the CZ being in production probably should decide this but the 922 looks like it is built "heavier" than the CZ to me. Never having shouldered either I can only go by pics and utube. As for price, the auction sites suggest a new CZ will cost about as much as a used 90%ish 922. I just wanted to get some opinions and hopefully some from 922 owners too. Thanks again for your reply though and I did update my profile.

As for searching the forums, do I just go to the window where it says "Advanced Search" and type in something like "922 cycling issues", the search doesn't seem to pick up the "922" part and only searches keywords "cycling", "issues". Operator error I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not, but in my part of the country, the word is, the only 22 mag auto that works reliably is the Ruger 10/22M. I don't have any experience with 22 mag autos, but I was told by my "gunsmith/range operator" that Ruger is the only route to go with a 22 mag auto rifle. I don't want a 22 mag rifle, as I feel anything that needs more than 22 LR will be served much better with a centerfire.

Good luck in your decision.....

·
Registered
823 Posts
I want a semi auto in 22 mag. And what kind of accuracy can you get at 100 yards? I really appreciate any help.
I bought a 922M last year. Haven't shot it much because .22WMR ammo is almost nonexistant around here. I shot this with CCI-TMJ 40 grain MaxiMags at 100yards. It came with a 3-9 x 40 Swift scope, that I change over to a Nikon 4-12 x 40 BDC. The magazines are scarce, but they are still available from Numrich. It is a 5 round magazine that is the same size as the original 7 round mag. It has a spacer inside to lower the capacity. The spacer is easily removed to make them into 7 round magazines. I had some issues with jamming with the original magazine, but was easily fixed by adjusting the magazine feed lips closer together. I have not had any issues with it, other than replacing the buffer.
The 922M is a full size rifle, it does not look or feel like a normal size .22 rifle. Everyone I show it to doesn't believe that it is a .22 magnum.
BTW, I love having a real Walnut stock.

edit: When you do a search type in "922M" and you will get a lot of hits.

P1000717.JPG

Reactions: P-bass

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I've been very curious of the CZ 512 myself, I have seen some great reviews of it but im a little bit scared of its contruction with so much polymer, not that there is anything wrong with polymer. For certain things it's great since it's strong and can't rust but I've heared there are SOME internal part of the action even in plastic (the rails the bolt slides back and fourth on are polymer, not metal) and that kind of turns me off, could be wrong though.
Seems like a really neat rifle though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Marvlin, I'd be pretty happy with that group at 100 yards. I'm still weighing the "in production vs out of production" question issue and from other comments I've seen it seems like accuracy is not guaranteed. The "922M" search was very helpful also. Thanks again.

Also, can anyone tell me the weight and overall length of a 922?

·
Super Moderator
8,035 Posts
Welcome from the swamps of Va. I bought a 922 m off the interenet a few years back, broke it down cleaned it replaced the buffer and shot it. i sighted in at +1-2" at 100 yds and it is pretty good out to 200 yds. I have not put on paper at that distance but ring gongs. As far as other issues with the 922, it tended to jam after 100 rounds or so of the golden bullets as they left all kinds of gold particles in the action. After cleaning extensively and applying the frog lube the problem seemed to go away. It is a great rifle and is very accurate and fun to shoot.

as far as ammo I found local supplies last spring and stocked up a few thousand rounds so I have plenty to play with as well as purchased additional mags. Currently the rifle has a pulsar nigth vision scope on top of it for youte hunting, looks ugly but works well.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts