Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just got a 336 35 Rem and I am looking forward to shooting it. I had a 30A 30/30 for a breif time and I regreted parting with it so I decided on this Marlin and I think it's great. The only thing that disapointed me was the grain on the buttstock. Kind of irregular on both sides. I was expecting the grain on the walnut to be straighter than on the birch stocks I have seen before. Oh well, maybe Ill just put a Galco Butt Cuff on it to cover it up. I really dont want to restock it. I love wood on guns but Im picky on color and grain patterns. I plan to reload using cast bullets. Looking forward to learning how to cast my own.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to MO..

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
You have chosen your forum well, and your firearm even more wisely. I think you'll do fine here. Pull up a chair, settle in, and enjoy the company. And if you have any questions, no matter how mundane, ask. There is about a gazillion years' worth of experience on this board. Not to say we're a bunch of old geezers, we're just wise beyond our years. :roll:

Papajohn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome mlb200180

Funny how we're all so different. I was drawn to my Marlin's buttstock years back. It looks kinds like a burl's grain pattern, swirly and mysterious. And you know what, it didn't effect its shooting at all! Another good thing, you'll never have trouble identifying it in a crowd.

You picked a .35, so we already know your astute, worldly and perceptive. And now you tell me your gonna handload cast bullets. Well the world is your oyster! Keep us informed.
Brushbuster

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking about starting out with some plinking loads. I just got my Lee 158grn RNFP mold. I plan on casting them hard and work up a load with some pistol powder. Any suggestions? I plan on shooting only lead bullets through this gun. Should I break it in using jacketed bullets or should I just shoot the lead? I was thinking if the barrel is broken in it might reduce lead fouling.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If your rifle leads up, try firelapping, notes on how to in reference section, as it will remove the imperfections that snag lead, or use gas checked bullets. If you use wheel weights or the like you can make them harder by using a water drop, cover a bucket of water with a towel with a slit in the middle to let them fall into the water without splashing you, and above all make sure they are .002-003 over your bore size, that alone will do the most for leading and accuracy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks sure shot. I dont know if the mold I have will cast them that big. I hear that Lee molds drop bullets pretty close to the size specified. If this mold casts .358in bullets, would there be a chance of it working in my rifle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts