Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Marlin picture (336 xlr)

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Nightfisher 
#1 ·
Just was looking on Hornady's site and in the bottom right corner there is a Featured Member picture of a mule deer

Guy is holding a long barrel stainless laminate .30-30 and had used the new lever evolution.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking rifle... may be Marlin is going to build something new for me to buy! Here is the text that accompanies the picture...

Wayne H.
This is a Montana mule deer shot with Hornady's 160 gr LEVERevolution .30-30 ammo. The LEVERevolution ammo performed flawlessly. I laser ranged the deer before shooting - 309 yards. Knowing that a 200 yard zero with the LEVERevolution ammo has a 12 inch drop at 300 yards, I held at the top of his back, touched off the trigger of my Marlin XLR rifle, and dropped him with one shot. NO HOLDOVER at 309 yards with a .30-30. Amazing!

#6 ·
Yup the wife is really going to hate me when I start telling her why I need this one :lol: Man that is a nice rifle stainless, 24" bbl look honey a weather resistant stock too :wink: The wheels are a turnin already, is there a cure for this?

#8 ·
I just checked Marlins website last night and there was no mention of this rifle, at least that I could find.
Is it a regular 336 with a 24" barrel?, Only in Stainless?

I could be made interested in a 24" 336, but actually would prefer Marlin make a run of the 336 cowboy in 30-30.

#10 ·
Re: .

jbadams66 said:
Sports South has a listing for the xlr showing that it has a 24" barrel and stainless. The cool part is they will have it in .30-30, .444, .45-70 and .450. I wonder what else Marlin will put out for next year.
We always hear rumors about new rifles and sometimes it doesn't come to pass. I will buy an XLR in 444 so fast it will make your head snap!

#15 ·
marlin 336 xlr

where do you get a Marlin 336 XLR CANT SEEM TO FIND THEM ON MARLIN SITE ARE THEY A CUSTOM LEVER,,, OH BOY I LOVE 336S THIS ONE SOUNDS GREAT AND WHEN IS THE LEVEREVELUTION AMMO COMING AROUND?[/b]

#17 ·
Mother of God, how freakin' sweet is that! I called a local dealer after I saw this post, he checked his computer and said the XLR's are in the distributor database but status is still unavailable. He quoted me $600.00 for the 30/30. This things got lever action target rifle written all over it. I know what I'm spending my tax return on!

#18 ·
336 XLR

I can't wait to buy one of these XLR's, especially because they have a 24" barrel! I hunt with an old Marlin 336A in .35 Rem with the 24" barrel and factory sights which I used to get an elk this fall. It's about time Marlin offered a 30-30 with something more than a 20" barrel. I was getting tired of all these snub nosed leveractions. I guess I like the look and balance of an original Marlin 336A.

#19 ·
I wish someone would delete that XLR photo. I keep coming back just to look at it.

#20 ·
They have all of them listed on the Davidson’s sight but they don’t have pictures. They all have a MSRP of $874.

Marlin and Horady must have had a sales meeting together and tried to figure out how to increase sales. Solution, longer barrel + pointed bullet = better range = increased sales. 8) Best for both worlds. I think it is going to be great for both Companies but it is all counting on the performance of the nurf bullet. :roll:

Where’s the ‘35 rem? Don’t they know that they have to make it in ‘35 rem? :shock:

#24 ·
biglmbass said:
I noticed on Davidson's site that this new gun has Ballard rifling ulike the MircoGroove that is used in the regular carbine length 336s. What exactly is the difference?
Deeper cut rifling with less grooves. Supposedly it's better suited for cast bullets but I don't think it matters. I'm a cast bullet shooter and I would rather stay with the Micro-Groove rifling.

The price I was quoted for a 444 XLR is $672.

#26 ·
****** Loco said:
Warthog said:
I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!
Warthog ... you and me both :D. They would have to come out with one after I just bought a 444s dagnabb'it. Not sure I really want it as a 24" barrel though.
Same here. I just got the 336SS LTD and can't get another rifle now. i will have to get the Better Half to put a 35 or 45-70 on the birthday list for me in June :lol: .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.