Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was looking on Hornady's site and in the bottom right corner there is a Featured Member picture of a mule deer

Guy is holding a long barrel stainless laminate .30-30 and had used the new lever evolution.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Nice looking rifle... may be Marlin is going to build something new for me to buy! Here is the text that accompanies the picture...

Wayne H.
This is a Montana mule deer shot with Hornady's 160 gr LEVERevolution .30-30 ammo. The LEVERevolution ammo performed flawlessly. I laser ranged the deer before shooting - 309 yards. Knowing that a 200 yard zero with the LEVERevolution ammo has a 12 inch drop at 300 yards, I held at the top of his back, touched off the trigger of my Marlin XLR rifle, and dropped him with one shot. NO HOLDOVER at 309 yards with a .30-30. Amazing!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm impressed! Thanks for some first hand experience with the new rounds, and the rifle is pretty cool, too. Great shot with a "old fashioned and underpowered" lever rifle!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yup the wife is really going to hate me when I start telling her why I need this one :lol: Man that is a nice rifle stainless, 24" bbl look honey a weather resistant stock too :wink: The wheels are a turnin already, is there a cure for this?

G

·
I can just imagine the Marlin XLR in 307 and 356 with the new plastic tipped ammo....or maybe Marlin will come out with a new flatter shooting cartridge. The 30-30 version will do for now!

Regards, Adrian

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just checked Marlins website last night and there was no mention of this rifle, at least that I could find.
Is it a regular 336 with a 24" barrel?, Only in Stainless?

I could be made interested in a 24" 336, but actually would prefer Marlin make a run of the 336 cowboy in 30-30.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sports South has a listing for the xlr showing that it has a 24" barrel and stainless. The cool part is they will have it in .30-30, .444, .45-70 and .450. I wonder what else Marlin will put out for next year.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Re: .

jbadams66 said:
Sports South has a listing for the xlr showing that it has a 24" barrel and stainless. The cool part is they will have it in .30-30, .444, .45-70 and .450. I wonder what else Marlin will put out for next year.
We always hear rumors about new rifles and sometimes it doesn't come to pass. I will buy an XLR in 444 so fast it will make your head snap!

·
Registered
482 Posts
So if they produce them in numbers wouldn't the XLR be a stainless version of the old A? If so I NEED one in a bad way!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the post. I saw those listed on my distributors site, but there were no pics. I personally prefer the trend toward shorter bbls, but maybe the stocks will be available for purchase soon. That would be sweet.

Matthew

·
Registered
1 Posts
marlin 336 xlr

where do you get a Marlin 336 XLR CANT SEEM TO FIND THEM ON MARLIN SITE ARE THEY A CUSTOM LEVER,,, OH BOY I LOVE 336S THIS ONE SOUNDS GREAT AND WHEN IS THE LEVEREVELUTION AMMO COMING AROUND?[/b]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I seem to recall that Tomray mentioned they (Marlin) were thinking about using the laminated stocks on the 336 series rifles. Except for the long barrel, it sounds nice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mother of God, how freakin' sweet is that! I called a local dealer after I saw this post, he checked his computer and said the XLR's are in the distributor database but status is still unavailable. He quoted me $600.00 for the 30/30. This things got lever action target rifle written all over it. I know what I'm spending my tax return on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
336 XLR

I can't wait to buy one of these XLR's, especially because they have a 24" barrel! I hunt with an old Marlin 336A in .35 Rem with the 24" barrel and factory sights which I used to get an elk this fall. It's about time Marlin offered a 30-30 with something more than a 20" barrel. I was getting tired of all these snub nosed leveractions. I guess I like the look and balance of an original Marlin 336A.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I wish someone would delete that XLR photo. I keep coming back just to look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
They have all of them listed on the Davidson’s sight but they don’t have pictures. They all have a MSRP of $874.

Marlin and Horady must have had a sales meeting together and tried to figure out how to increase sales. Solution, longer barrel + pointed bullet = better range = increased sales. 8) Best for both worlds. I think it is going to be great for both Companies but it is all counting on the performance of the nurf bullet. :roll:

Where’s the ‘35 rem? Don’t they know that they have to make it in ‘35 rem? :shock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts