Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 336 R.C., manufactured in 1952 (J designation). It's a .32 special

It was kind of an impulse buy because I didn't research what these are going for.

It's in great shape for such an old piece (I'd say 90%)

It was a little dirty, but that'll be rectified shortly :)

I paid $250.

What do you all think?

Thanks for any help you can be!!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I think you got yourself a good rifle for a fair price.. You don't see many 32's around anymore,, not anyone trading them off either..

It's sure one of the best whitetail guns around..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gunjunkie said:
I think you got yourself a good rifle for a fair price.. You don't see many 32's around anymore,, not anyone trading them off either..

It's sure one of the best whitetail guns around..

Thanks, GJ! The reason I think I was so nervous is exactly because I hadn't seen any around. So it's because people keep 'em, not because the barrels have all exploded. Well, that's good to know.

Now what about a good scope? I want something that won't take away from the overall vintage appeal of the rifle (yes, I'm vain about my guns).
I'm not overly concerned about magnification, because I likely won't ever get a shot over 100 yds.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend.. I have Leupold 3x7x33 rifleman on my 30-30.. and love it.. Bushnell also makes a compact one that is great and cheaper.. Nanook450 can fill you in on them, he loves them on his big bores..
here is pic of mine on the new xlr..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's more scope than I need. I'll look into the compact bushnell you mentioned...

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've enjoyed my Nikon 4X. Right at a bill from the mart mart store. Down side, about the same size as that Leupold.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you want to keep the vintage feel of the gun start hitting the gun shows and find an older Weaver scope from that time period. The information I have been given is that the Weavers with the steel tubes are the best so bring a small magnet with you to make sure.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Is the rifle drilled of the top of the receiver for a scope? It shouldn't be if it is a J prefix. If it hasn't been drilled, I don't think I would.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
big medicine said:
Is the rifle drilled of the top of the receiver for a scope? It shouldn't be if it is a J prefix. If it hasn't been drilled, I don't think I would.
Good call. It hasn't. I really want to hunt with it though, and I've never been great with open sights. I guess I can only get better!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Go with the open sights. With sufficient practice you should be able to shoot "minute of deer" groups at 100 yards...say 4-5" groups for three shots.

And yes, there is nothing wrong with the 32 Win. Back East and in the Northeast these seem to have been more popular than in the Midwest and West. And perhaps people just hold on to Uncle Earl's old deer gun.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep I agree.. Don't drill it.. find ammo it likes and shoot open site.. I have my carbine 336 set for 100 open sites , a spare incase needed, but I still love to shoot it as well as the xlr..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dont forget leupold makes a 2-7 ultralight its only 9.5 inches long not 11 inches and ether the 1-4x20mm or the 2.5x20mm are tops. Leupolds are smaller in size and wieght let alone high quality. I beleive simons makes a 2.5 x20mm about the same size as the leupold should sell for less than a $100.
Some here shoot longer distances say 100 to 200 yards but if your like most of us who shoot less than 100 yards a 2.5 scope will let you shoot 100 yard 3 inche or less groups all day long and still give a good 20 yard view of a deer.
I have a 2-7x33 VXII on my 270win, a 1-4x20 VXII on my 336D and they work graet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your rifle should be tapped for a reciever sight....I have an RC in .32 Special from 1949, plus other earlier Marlins and I have come to love a good reciever sight. I have a Lyman and several Williams FP's that I use.

I just turned 50 and started using reading glasses several years ago. Regular open sights just don't work very good for me, but the reciever sights work GREAT!!

Good Luck and Congratulations!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts