Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

2 days ago I purchased a brand new Marlin 60SSK rifle, and I got a couple of questions:

1. What type of ammunition works best?? I already fired 250 rounds of Federal 40 grain. After zeroing the scope, I got nickel sized 5 shot groups at 25 yards. 4 FTE's and 1 FTF. No misfires or hangfires.

2. Any tips for maintenance etc. How about polishing the sear??

This is my first .22 ever, after several years in the sport, and I had a blast with it. I also own a Ruger GP-100, EAA Witness 9mm, and a WASR-10 7.62x39mm.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Shoot lots..............clean little (keep the outside wiped down real good for rust spots!!) If you notice crud building up around chamber/bolt face, you'll know what to do. This is my opinion only.....I've been known to be wrong :D (I just think .22s are easy)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, 46 views and only 1 reply!!! I thought this was the right place to ask for Marlin advice

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well it is but the experts wait to post .. LOL.. WELCOME TO MARLINOWNERS...

I don't have one of the models you have.. but most shoot CCI 's I think.. Not sure.. I imagine any clean ammo,, not the gunked up coated would work just fine ..

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Maybe no one answers because there is no "right" answer. Each gun is different. You must try all kinds of ammo and see what works best for your rifle. Nobody can tell you what will work from the other side of cyberspace! Range time, my Friend! Have fun. ~Andrew

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Grunt said:
Wow, 46 views and only 1 reply!!! I thought this was the right place to ask for Marlin advice
:roll: harumph! One answer is enough when it's the right answer :wink:

G

·
Grunt,

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like you got a good one there. If you're shooting nickel sized groups at 25 yards, then it sounds like you have found your riffle.

.22's are so easy to take care of, like tubbythetuba stated, that they even let me have a couple of them. They are loads of fun and cheap on the target range and even more fun while chasing squirrels. Speaking of which, keep an eye out for the big squirrel hunt next September... great fun and it gives us a chance to meet some of our cyber-buddies.

Keep shooting that Marlin and we'll see ya around.

Sweetman

·
Registered
688 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Grunt said:
:roll: harumph! One answer is enough when it's the right answer :wink:
:lol: Absolutely!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'm kind of anxiuos to learn more about this rifle. As I said before, this is my first .22 rimfire (ok I had .22 pump action air rifle, but that doesn't count!) and the more info I can get the better.

I got a lot of reading to do in these forums. Thanks

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
althought Shawnee 04 is over and we have a 75 page post going.. 05 will be up and running in Jan,, jump in with both feet on that one. as many there are very much experts on 22 rifles..( ps I am not one of them) :lol:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
duplicate post.....sorry

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
As Andrew said....you will want to try a number of different rounds, and find the one that works best in that particular rifle..
For hunting rounds, I usually try CCI Mini-mags first, since they probably shoot better in more guns more often than most others...but that is just MY experience...

Still:.. my NEF .22 lr sportster likes Stingers best...go figure...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts