Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Would you purchase a new Hepburn style sight? (high quality, exact replica)

• yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • possibly

Votes: 7 26.9%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making new Marlin-Hepburn sights that are true to the originals.

The problem is that I don't possess an original.

I would like your input on 2 counts.

First - answer the survey - Would you buy one if the price was less than what originals are selling for?

Second - If you own one would you send me some HD pics of it? Specifically the mechanical workings (hinge, aperture arm, base, graduations, serrations). I'll but one if there is enough interest to make it worth my while to duplicate and sell them

PM me and I'll send you my email for pics

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,254 Posts
Building a good repro will require more than pictures. If the sights are identical in every way, and exact copies they will sell, but if they are just close you wont sell as many. The Hepburn sight is complicated to build. I know Larry at LARC who had exact repros built found they were very expensive for all the machine work. Ten years ago when he had them made they sold for $175, and he didn't make much profit at that. I think most buyers will even want the correct tiny rollstamp on the top, just so they're good repros. LARC still has the rollstamp, and was authorized by Marlin to reproduce them using their name on the stamp.
If you can get your hands on one of the repros, you'll have a better idea of getting them right. Buffalo Arms had them built in Hungary and sold them for $125 with the cheaper labor. They were very good quality repros, and seemed to be accurate. But once BA sold out they for some reason stopped making them. I've heard the Hungarians were getting tough to deal with, so that's why a lot of nice Hungarian made sights disappeared. Parts Unknown in Canada was having the Hungarians build sights also, and they've diappeared from the scene too.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks MM93

I didn't intend on trying to reproduce one from photos, but they'll give me a chance to try and make a plan.

Once, I've decided for sure to go ahead, I'll have to buy an old original (or good repro) to use as the master copy for the new repros.

They will not be made overseas.

Hopefully I'll be making them, but if I decide to outsource, they will still be made either in Canada or the US.

·
Premium Member
7,254 Posts
I wouldn't normally want anything made overseas either, but when Sergio at Parts Unknown was having numerous old tang, globe, Pope, etc. sights built in Hungary the repros were amazing quality, and very affordable. I've got a few Parts Unknown sights here, and they are as good as anything USA made I've ever seen, unlike much of the junk imported from other countries that look bad and work even worse.
I wish you success if you do decide to take on the Hepburn sight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of making new Marlin-Hepburn sights that are true to the originals.

The problem is that I don't possess an original.

I would like your input on 2 counts.

First - answer the survey - Would you buy one if the price was less than what originals are selling for?

Second - If you own one would you send me some HD pics of it? Specifically the mechanical workings (hinge, aperture arm, base, graduations, serrations). I'll but one if there is enough interest to make it worth my while to duplicate and sell them

PM me and I'll send you my email for pics

thanks
I now this post is ancient, but did this idea ever go anywhere? Are these currently available from any source? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts