Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I took my 13 year old daughter out to the range this Saturday. She has lately expressed an interest in shooting, so I wanted to teach her safety and technique. I started her out with a .22 rifle and after she had fired it enough to become familiar with sight picture, I let her shoot my 1894 .45 colt. I brought a sack of mild cowboy loads for her to shoot (200gr. RNFP, 5.6 gr. of Clays). She sat there for two hours straight and shot very well at 50 yards. So now, she refers to the 1894 as "her" rifle and told her Mom when we got home that she wouldn't be growing her nails because they interfere with loading the magazine of the rifle. I am pleased and proud to have a new shooting partner.

Borderbrewer :D

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Congrats on finding a hobby you and your daughter can share.

Just a thought...did you shoot at the South Bay Rod and Gun Club on Saturday? I was the lead RO that day and saw several parents/kids come out and enjoy the day. More than normal for a weekend.

G

·
Hi Jayhawker,
Yes, that was us. Were you the R.O. next to me shooting many Marlins?
I think my daughter is hooked. We had a great time and shooting together will give us common ground which is hard to find sometimes between parents and their Junior High School children.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops, forgot to log in before posting that last message. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Yeah, that was me. Probably wouldn't have paid you much attention, but not too many shoot lever guns out there and very few bring their daughters. Have a nice day and maybe we'll see you two again sometime.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Always great to introduce someone to the fun of Marlins!

My wife loved my 1894C so much I had to buy her one. (She claims I was just looking for an excuse to have two of them. I was shocked, shocked, that she'd suggest such a thing!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts