Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Marlin rimfire rifle today it's an unfired, new old stock, closet queen Marlin 60W in excellent ++ condition......there is a medallion mounted in the stock that says, "Saftey, Ethics, Sportsmanship" and the serial # is 0736****.

From searching the date of mfg. is a bit confusing......if I subtract 07 from 2000 I get 1993 as a mfg year but yet I ran across a sight someplace that states that with the above medallion the rifle was made in 1996.

Till I decided I wanted a Mdl. 60 a couple of weeks ago I had no idea how hard they are to find locally or in online stores.......is it because they have been discontinued ?

I plan to shoot the rifle but the trigger pull leaves a lot to be desired because of being heavy.

I won't embaras myself by saying how much I paid but let's just say it was considerably more than the last price Cabela's was selling them for which was $189.99.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't see a way to edit my above post but I'd like to remove the two stock decals but I'm afraid if I do (because they've been on the stock for so long) that they will leave a outline of where they were or a discolored area......is there a way to do this ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Marlin 60 was my first rifle and bought with my own money as a teen. Loved it. Shot it a ton. Had to sell it when I went to college for books. I miss it dearly. DON'T SELL IT! Or tell me if you are ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,833 Posts
The Phil B. sticker is a much sought after bonus... I wouldn't remove it...

Click on the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner of your post and then choose edit...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As long as you’re happy the price doesn’t matter. Congrats and I have one with the stickers on it. I left mine alone.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Believe it or not those rifles with the Phil B stickers have become collectable, he has become the Marlin patron saint from the days when quality control actually existed. I would leave Phil right where he belongs, there are only so many left with that sticker.

·
Premium Member
13,544 Posts
Nice rifle. Congrats. Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

Reactions: Peabody

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a 1967 Marlin M1 that had both stickers on it. Bought 2 years ago. Removed Phils as it was totally faded away. The genuine walnut was legible so I left it. Slightly faded where the sticker was removed. And that was on a much darker walnut.
I have a 1994 60W, bought 2 years ago. Guy at a gunshow had a stack of ten or so. LNIB, he was selling them for $125! Talked him down to $120.
By far my most accurate 60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome.......you gents have talked me into leaving the stickers on the stock.

So is the lack of new Marlin 60's everywhere because they've been discontinued, production is at a stand still or is it just COVID related shortages like everything else shooting / gun related ?

After watching a couple of videos and knowing my mechanical skills (lack of) I don't really feel comfortable about working on the trigger myself, is there someone that does reliable trigger jobs on M60's ?

As far as what I paid, I gave what a new basic Ruger 10/22 wood stocked carbine is running now for the new / old stock 60W.......I'm 6'4" - 6'5'ish and I wanted a flush magazine or tube fed .22 rifle with a longer / adult length LOP.

The 60W fits me well and so far I'm glad I purchased it.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
The Model 60 is still available as long as Ruger doesn’t axe it. They are just a little different today. The one you have still has the 22” barrel but a shortened mag tube that holds 15 22lr. The original Model 60 had a 22” barrel and full length mag tube. They shortened the tube around 1990 from a full length tube that held 18. After a few years, they shortened the barrel to 19” to make it more aesthetic. I still find 60‘s and other variants of it fairly often and normally bring them home with me. My first rifle my parents bought me was a Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 about 40 years ago and the love affair continues today.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The stores are cleaned out due to the bankruptcy and shut down of Remington, It will take awhile for Ruger to get their new Marlin production lines up and running.
At this point we still don't know what models Ruger will keep or mothball.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had one years ago two buddies bought me for my birthday. Wasn’t as into shooting then as I am now, and sold it in a moment of really tight finances. I’ve regretted it ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don't feel bad about the price. I purchased a model 60SS at my LGS that they had where no one could see it. When they brought it out on the floor I snagged it up quickly for $250 brand new. Did not mind that price at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the exact same rifle. Same medallion and all. It’s was my first gun. I must have shot it 50000 rounds Excellent rifle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts