Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

Got my Model 60SS on the fourth and put 250 rounds of various makes through it. Used the factory sights and even with these old eyes of mine it shot well. I could head shoot a chuck at 50 yards with it no problem. With my eyes thats not so bad - believe me. By the way it shot Winchester Power Points the best followed by CCI SGB, and PMC Zapper solids (40 gr).

Today I mounted a new Weaver Classic Rimfire in 4x28mm and had very good results both zeroing in and shooting Power Points. I sighted it in to be dead on at 20 yards with the Power Points. This shoud give me a MPBR on a 1" target out to about 60 yards or so. Naturally, I'll check this out on paper ASAP.

After zeroing I shot groups at 25 yards. I was amazed at how well this rifle shot a hunting load. I shot several nice groups. The best were .1875", .25" and .3125" or 3/16",1/4" and 5/16" respectively. I was shooting with limited time and only shot 50 rds and the wind was not good at all. Not that this hurt much at 25 yards except that it was actually moving the target stand. Even though the wind was blowing very brisk and fickle I had to try it at 50 yards. The groups opened way up and one group was 2.75". The other groups were 1.50" down to 3/4" but the wind got even worse and I was getting way too much target movement let alone wind deflection on the bullet. So I stopped for today.

I had to deal with another problem which affected my shooting and that was ammo failure. Yes, the Power Points were the worst box I have ever fired. I had numerous underpower loads which in some cases were so low powered that they did not operate the action fully and caused jams on several occasions. I also had two misfires. Both fired when shot the second time. Yes, the pin struck them very good and I had good indentation on the rim. I've fired thousands of Power Points and never had a batch like this. In fact they are my favorite all round hunting load. Unfortunately this is the first box out of a brick and I'll probably have problems with the whole lot. We'll see.

I think this M-60SS is a nice looking rifle and it comes up for me very well. Furthermore, it is a very good shooter and is proving itself - so far - to be very accurate. I've only shot a little over 300 rounds through it since I got it but I really like it for a plinker and fast handling hunter.

Incidently, the Weaver scope is very nice. For a rimfire scope it's a touch expensive but I've always had Weavers and like this rimfire Classic as well. :)

I've got some specific targets in mind for this little Model 60SS and when that happens I'll post results. Also as I break it in I give performance reports.

GOOD SHOOTING EVERYONE! :) Range Finder

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you tried any of the Federal ammo? I did a lot of testing of the lower priced ammo and I found Federal value pack (hollow points and Lightnings (solids) to be better than anything else I could find. I will admit that Federals also come with some inconsistencies, but overall I've had better luck with the two I've mentioned.

I have no explanation for this, but it seems that a couple of my rifles let you know by the sound that there is a difference from one cartridge to the next, but most of the rifles sound pretty much the same with each cartridge. The Marlin 39A really lets you know (by the sound) that there is a variety of loads in every box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts