Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun 1 - Brand new gun, Marlin 60SN. Thunderbolt Ammo. Cleaned gun before first use and went and shot 50 rounds - zero issues, worked perfect. Cleaned gun same day.
Two weeks later. Same ammo. Same gun. Gun wouldn't eject one bullet. Not one. All fired that were chambered, it just wouldn't eject them. My only guess is I left too much oil in the chamber? Thoughts?

Gun 2 - 24 yr old Marlin 60. Ammo, about every kind known to man - they all do the same thing. At least 1 bullet per 15 misfires, just doesn't shoot. Every now and then I'll get one that won't eject, but it's usually just a non-fire issue. I think it needs a new firing spring and firing pin, is it common for those to wear out?

Link to online store for marlin parts? (I haven't looked and am totally being lazy asking this, sorry)

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... I get my Model 60 parts from Numrich...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In my humble opinion, parts should be cleaned, wiped down with a rag with a few drops of oil on it, and reassembled. If there's any visible oil, you have used too much.

There should be NO oil in the chamber and this might be the culprit.

Did the empty cases stay in the chamber?

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Most problems I have had over the years with model 60`s was always dirt, grime, gummed up, full of old powder residue, and the like. I have shot thousands of rounds through model 60`s for over 50 years and have never replaced a part on any of them. I have four and my two boys have one each. These are all older ones though, I don`t know about the quality of the newer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks all the quick responses. I'll compare each gun's parts and see if I did accidentally bend the ejector spring on the new gun. The shells were coming out of the barrel, they just couldn't get clear of the chamber and were getting smashed inside.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the responses you are receiving are spot on. When you say "left too much oil in the chamber," red flags pop up. Rules with Model 60's? 1. Clean, clean, clean. 2. VERY light lubrication. Almost dry.

3. Make sure the firing pin and channel are CLEAN.

4. Thunderduds generally suck. Find some CCI Mini-mags.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could have bent the ejector spring while re-assembling... You have to lock the bolt in the open position when you place the action assembly in the receiver, then once it's in the receiver unlock it and slide it closed...

Look at this thread for an ejector spring adjustment...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/76244-marlin-model-60-problem.html
that was the problem. It wasn't bent, it actually got knocked off its grove and was not in the right spot. Rookie mistake. I've cleaned my older gun hundreds of times but I must have tried to reinstall the innards with the chamber closed, and knocked the spring off. She works like a champ again! Even with crap ammo...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts