Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy the Forum!
I received my new 410 yesterday. It should be a lot of fun out in the field. I am going to take a stab at this one more time........why did Marlin (and Winchester) put rifle sights on these guns? Is the use of slugs a high priority with the general 410 population? Are they trying to circumvent some sort of radical anti-gun legislation? I know that sounds like a knee-jerk comment, but in this day and age, anything is possible! Anyhow, have any of you 410 owners used your guns for the pursuit of winged game? How do you feel about the sights when agressively tracking a bird? I already carefully removed the rear sight and front sight and installed a Lyman dovetail blank and a brass bead. Rudimentary boresighting seems to indicate that the combo will work. I will definitely do some extensive patterning, though.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The odd sight topic has been discussed before, and while the factory won't say, I believe it's a production cost issue. They are set up to configure barrels a certain way, and anything else would add to the cost. I"m still holding for a used example since I hesitate to pay over 400. If I could find a nice used MECsingle stage 410 loader, though... :D SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have bid on lots of collector ammo on the 'net, but my first gun auction was the 410 I just bought. The outfit goes by Wholesalehunter and they are based in Vandalia, MO. They do a ton of business on gunbroker.com. With shipping and handling, my cost was $383.00.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insofar as my sight modifications go, here is what I had to do.........I filed the front ramp down to make the top of it approximately .121" high. This makes the top of the ramp even with the top of the receiver. I left the fiber optic sight in place during my filing because the dovetail needed to be filled when I was finished. I drilled a #45 hole and tapped it 3-56 for a brass bead. I used Weaver mount screws and countersunk the holes to get the screw heads below the top of the ramp. I now have a proper shotgun sight picture! With some Oxpho Blue applied, it looks pretty darned good! I was disappointed when I discovered that the 2 sight ramp screw holes were drilled off to the left. I had to trim and shim the ramp to bring it level with the top of the receiver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe the reason for the rifle sights on the lever action .410s is for slug shooting. I live in Indiana and they legalized the use of .410s two years ago, Ohio has used .410s for some time now.

I bought my son a Winchester 9410 (the long barrel version) to use for deer hunting and it is a tac driver. I shot Remingtons, Winchesters and Federals through it and the Remington slugs perform the best. Thinking the new Marlin would be nicer than the Winchester, last year I bought a Marlin lever action .410. The finish on the Marlin is much better, the action is much smoother, but it doesn't shoot slugs as well as the Winchester. Again, I tried all the different slugs, but this time the Winchesters shot the best, but not as well as the Remingtons do in the Winchester 9410. So, this year I bought a Winchester 9410 Packer model with the short barrel and it is like the one I bought my son to use, shoots great using Remington slugs! I guess the Marlin will become a rabbit gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts