Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new marlin 336 today. Is it ok to shoot it as is, or should I clean it out, lube it up, then go and shoot it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
You should absolutely take it down and clean it out. Lubrication is optional, but since you are already cleaning it, it makes sense to do this too.
Your first shot, the fouling shot, will not be truly indicative of where your rifle is going to shoot, so just try to get it downrange safely.
After that, sighting it in begins.
Congrats, enjoy, and good luck.
Ranger

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
DoggyDog,

I would just run a patch or two down the barrel from the breech end and shoot the thang! If you know how, give the rifle a good cleaning and lube when you get back from the range. If you need any info about how to disassemble just let us know.

Now you need a third opinion, huh? :lol:

Welcome to MO,

Dave :)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
With Marlins they aren't packed in packing grease and should be ready to shoot out of the box as they are test fired once at the factory. I am just fussy enough to want to open it up and make sure everything is there and there are no obvious problems (metal in the receiver, extractor missing, ejector out of place) with the new Marlins I have bought this has never happened, but I have to check just because. Enjoy your new rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, the ruger 10/22 I bought about a year ago was packed with grease, and had to clean it out before I fired it.

Thanks for the info about the marlin. (I just noticed there is a scratch on my new gun, On the front band, GRRRR)

I hope to go test fire it today.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I always just take down and check first before shooting any gun..

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would clean the barrel before I shot it. I have been amazed at how dirty some "brand new" barrels are. Like the others said it would not hurt to check it out first. Parley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts