Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was so excited, had a brand new, good looking, dirty thirty. I headed to the local range, with two boxes of ammo ready to give it a good push.

-Gun was well lubed
-Loaded 4 rounds, went to work the lever and STUCK

that's right, 4 live rounds, stuck in the tube, never got a round to the chamber. The lever was also 'jammed' I had to pay the gunsmith at the range $25 dollars to remove them, as I dont think they were letting me leave with the gun 'hot' as they called it. Gun cycles fine unloaded

Been waiting on the the shipping label from marlin for 4 weeks now. ::)

Is there any fixes I can do? I don't want some punk at the UPS hub touching my firearm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Abel said:
Yes. After Remington fixes your rifle, sell it. Then buy a pre-2009 Marlin-made 336C from your local used gun pusher.
Appreciate it, but I don't want to sell, for a loss, then pay more than new for a used older rifle.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do, before I send it up to rem?

Amazing my 700 .308 performs FLAWLESSLY, why in the heck can you make an amazing out of the box, bolt rifle, and screw up a lever design that has been in production for years!?!

R&D! And to think they are making a semiautomatic carbine(acr) wont touch that with a ten foot poll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2500hdrob said:
Was so excited, had a brand new, good looking, dirty thirty. I headed to the local range, with two boxes of ammo ready to give it a good push.

-Gun was well lubed
-Loaded 4 rounds, went to work the lever and STUCK

that's right, 4 live rounds, stuck in the tube, never got a round to the chamber. The lever was also 'jammed' I had to pay the gunsmith at the range $25 dollars to remove them, as I dont think they were letting me leave with the gun 'hot' as they called it. Gun cycles fine unloaded

Been waiting on the the shipping label from marlin for 4 weeks now. ::)

Is there any fixes I can do? I don't want some punk at the UPS hub touching my firearm.

Is or was the cartridge under the loading gate?

If the cartridge is under the gate, you didn't push the carridge in far enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cole K said:
Is or was the cartridge under the loading gate?

If the cartridge is under the gate, you didn't push the carridge in far enough.
The last round, of the four, was pushed in properly, when it came time to work the lever to bring the round to chamber, the lever locked up, we unjammed one round, and the subsequent cycling a second jammed another.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What is going on with remington ? This past summer a fello brought a brand new 700 BDL to the range for the first time. The bolt on this brand new gun would not close down on a rem. factory 30:06 round. Unbelievable. I guess we have to do our own QA before we pay for a rifle from any manufacture. QA is out at the factories because it costs too much money. I guess-sheesh

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hub said:
What is going on with remington ? This past summer a fello brought a brand new 700 BDL to the range for the first time. The bolt on this brand new gun would not close down on a rem. factory 30:06 round. Unbelievable. I guess we have to do our own QA before we pay for a rifle from any manufacture. QA is out at the factories because it costs too much money. I guess-sheesh
I am blessed because I have a rem 700 in .308 that is a real tack driver, solid as a rock.

And a Marlin 60 .22 so I figured two great companies now the bigger owns the smaller, no worries right? Wrong.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
What is going on with remington ? This past summer a fello brought a brand new 700 BDL to the range for the first time. The bolt on this brand new gun would not close down on a rem. factory 30:06 round.

Happened to me once. I had installed the front scope mount with one of the rear scope mount screws. The rear mount screw, being slightly longer than the front mount screws, wasn't allowing the bolt to close completely. My bad............

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
So the round never left the mag tube?

Am I understanding that the lever stuck in the full forward position?

Check the loading gate to be sure it is seated properly and make sure the screw is snugged up tight.

It's always hard to diagnose these things over the internet but nowadays with Remington inventing ways to screw up it's little more than a crap shoot... :-\

·
Banned
430 Posts
Today I looked at two new 44 mag 1894's. One was "JM" stamped and the other "rem"

They were worlds apart in feel. Its almost unbelievable.

I also cycled on of the new Winchesters, smooth as glass, $1200

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eli Chaps said:
So the round never left the mag tube?

Am I understanding that the lever stuck in the full forward position?

Check the loading gate to be sure it is seated properly and make sure the screw is snugged up tight.

It's always hard to diagnose these things over the internet but nowadays with Remington inventing ways to screw up it's little more than a crap shoot... :-\
Yup, the lever stuck in the open bolt position, and I am afraid to test it again, only to have it jam, and then fudge something putting it back together.

However, I might just check the loading gate myself, as I dont see my shipping level arriving anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
loading gate screw....make sure its tight and aligned properly.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
What did the Gunsmith at the range(Gunsmith at your range? you guys have everthing ;)) say??, besides thall be 25 bucks. No advice?? Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
631 Posts
Four weeks is long enough to be patient. Call Remington every day and ask to speak to a supervisor. Keep this up and keep going up the chain. Be insistent and don't take no for an answer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Seems like i have been perusing the forums and found this problem on older marlins as well. I have been listening to the automatic jump to how "crappy" new marlins are. Yes, there have been some unfortunate problems, but they just moved an entire operation, it will take a little to work out the kinks. I have two marlins one from illion and one from north haven. They are both fine weapons. I have been disappointed with the negative slander lately. If there is any problem it seems we jump to the conclusion that anything made in NY is crap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts