Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife wanted a new Marlin MXLR,I have been very busy ,since I live up here in the Deprived part of North America I want and need to Rant

I ordered Unseen from the only store whom had the rifle in stock in Canada EH! and H barreled I thought they should have there **** together by now Since it is 2014 production

It is the dirtiest rifle I have ever seen ,yet fit and finish was good ,The barrel says it is made in North Haven CT and has REP on right side

The front site screws are broken off that the screws broke in half impossible to get a driver on them as only half a screw. the Lever is Razor sharp on the edges and is as sharp as my Knives of Alaskan knife

I had asked the Yahoo to look at the rifle before he sent it .Make sure sights are straight and wood fit is good ,as usual he may of had text incoming or some ****

The store is 6 Mail days away and I have to send it out and I should know better ,but I am fool for thinking so

Frustration ,yes ,but the Yahoo in the store is just as guilty ,you cant look at a rifle before you send it out ?

I thought it looked good at first and I cleaned the bore ,degreased it only to send it back and wait some more

There are no shipping dents to cause the screw breakage ,just poor installation I think

The Checkering on the pistol grip is there I think two rubs with 0000 steel wool and it will disappear totally

I hope you learn from this racket I got myself into again

Ken

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
kenrose, my sympathies but I would never EVER order a post JM Marlin. Heck, I have yet to find one worthy of my hard earned funds. Ghost checkering is what I call it and I have yet to see a fit worth a darn too. But yes, many messed up Remlin's remain in the distribution pipe line, hence, unless I can handle it first hand and thoroughly check it out... I refuse to roll the dice.

Send it to Marlin and demand them to return it in worthy condition of your hard earned money.

FWIW, I remain persistent in purchasing nothing but JM Marlins. Recently purchased a 1999 JM 30AS, 2007 JM 308MX and a 2008 JM 338MX. All were spectacular.

Jack

Reactions: mike ellis

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kenrose, my sympathies but I would never EVER order a post JM Marlin. Heck, I have yet to find one worthy of my hard earned funds. Ghost checkering is what I call it and I have yet to see a fit worth a darn too. But yes, many messed up Remlin's remain in the distribution pipe line, hence, unless I can handle it first hand and thoroughly check it out... I refuse to roll the dice.

Send it to Marlin and demand them to return it in worthy condition of your hard earned money.

FWIW, I remain persistent in purchasing nothing but JM Marlins. Recently purchased a 1999 JM 30AS, 2007 JM 308MX and a 2008 JM 338MX. All were spectacular.

Jack
Jack ,

I know better but thought form this site that things were getting better [much better]

Also I cant send to Marlin ,up here it goes to Quebec to a warranty company

I had one in The USA to purchase but it was 850 plus shipping and 300 bucks for Import fees and 2-3 months for delivery

Ken

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
That's bad news. Getting a new gun should be exciting, not frustrating. Sorry for your troubles. My newest production Marlin is a 1980. But you can't beat the fit, finish and craftsmanship that went into my 1950 and 1952 Marlins. They are awesome!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's bad news. Getting a new gun should be exciting, not frustrating. Sorry for your troubles. My newest production Marlin is a 1980. But you can't beat the fit, finish and craftsmanship that went into my 1950 and 1952 Marlins. They are awesome!
I have 14 JM Marlins that I love ,but the wife wanted a 308 MXLR and they are very very scarce up here

I just should know better ,my lost again,,,,,, in 2010 I had 5 338 mx Marlin in 91 serial numbered guns that I got up here all had droop finally #6 Was a beauty

I am envious of the rifle selection in the USA ,up here we are only 3% of US sales so we are bottom feeders when Rifle and ammo is concerned

Ken

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I got a good rifle (Remlin 336C in 35 Rem) but there's no way I'd buy a Remlin sight unseen.......there are too many junkers still hanging around that people want to get rid of for that.
The checkering was OK on mine except that an overzealous application of stock finish on the wood adjacent the tangs made the checkering on the pistol grip a little less well defined than it should have been.

Your gun might have been a holdover Remlin made in the disaster years just after the Kenna>>Remington sellout that the dealer wanted to dump.
What better opportunity than a mail order buyer (in Canada licensed gun owners don't need the services of a FFL to ship guns).
Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a good rifle (Remlin 336C in 35 Rem) but there's no way I'd buy a Remlin sight unseen.......there are too many junkers still hanging around that people want to get rid of for that.
The checkering was OK on mine except that an overzealous application of stock finish on the wood adjacent the tangs made the checkering on the pistol grip a little less well defined than it should have been.

Your gun might have been a holdover Remlin made in the disaster years just after the Kenna>>Remington sellout that the dealer wanted to dump.
What better opportunity than a mail order buyer (in Canada licensed gun owners don't need the services of a FFL to ship guns).
Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.
Pricedo

I thought that H barreled Remlins were 2014 production ? I was sure I read that on here ? that's why I ordered it

I was surprised it did not say ILION New York

We need a PAL,,,,,,,,,,,, Possession Acquisition licence to purchase

Ken

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Pricedo

I thought that H barreled Remlins were 2014 production ? I was sure I read that on here ? that's why I ordered it

Ken
Could be.
I won't pay the money for the MXLRs JM or REP anyway................too expensive.
There's only one way to buy ANY Remlin and that's after it passes a thorough hands-on pre-purchase inspection and function test.
The dealer is going to dump his less impressive specimens on the mail order customers and put the better ones on the rack.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Pricedo

Ken
What the Canadian firearms license does is make each licensee a mini FFL with the power to ship and receive firearms using the mails couriers, etc. to other licensees.

I'm not in favor of licensing but the system works good until a future anti-gun government comes along and revokes all the licenses making each person who owns a firearm an instant criminal.

Reactions: kenrose

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What the Canadian firearms license does is make each licensee a mini FFL with the power to ship and receive firearms using the mails couriers, etc. to other licensees.

I'm not in favor of licensing but the system works good until a future anti-gun government comes along and revokes all the licenses making each person who owns a firearm an instant criminal.
Pricedo

Many Soldiers American and Canadian have given their lives to protect our Continent and the struggle continues .We are the same people and Should not let our Goverments take our rights away .We have abolished the Long gun registry, but they are trying to get that changed every single day. I think you guys got your hands full of Government and your God given rights are somewhat strained . I think we are blessed to have neighbours that when the chips are down you can count on each other .I believe in the near future we will need each other and these elected officials need to concentrate on the preservation of life as we know it and leave our rights the hell alone

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Jack ,

I know better but thought form this site that things were getting better [much better]

Also I cant send to Marlin ,up here it goes to Quebec to a warranty company

I had one in The USA to purchase but it was 850 plus shipping and 300 bucks for Import fees and 2-3 months for delivery

Ken
Well, that makes it much worse.

Did you not have a 3 day inspection period with the return shipping paid for by the seller? Every online purchase I've done I've had this and I would definitely demand it even on a brand new in box firearm.

So what are your options? Besides paying to have a brand new Remlin repaired on your dime... that notion would tick me off royally.

FWIW, my master advanced gun smith and I had lunch a while back. He know has a policy to not take any work on with a Freedom Group firearm. He has in the past and said never again. Hopefully, yours isn't that bad.

I sincerely wish you the best. And I would appreciate it if you would keep us updated on whatever the outcome.

Jack

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I guess that the moral of the story is don't buy any gun sight unseen unless the store has a written return of defective goods policy at no cost to the buyer for shipping.
A gun purchase is a sizeable investment and warrants your due diligence in this regard.
The new manufacturing paradigm is build them faster and cheaper and defective units slip through quality control (in many cases non-existent) with any brand of any commodity.
The old days of pride in product are over except for the very expensive custom rifles like the Miroku Winchesters and Turnbull Custom rifles costing thousands of dollars.
Firearms costing $300 - $600 are utility guns manufactured with minimal or no in-factory quality control and need to be inspected and tested thoroughly before finalizing the sale.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sorry for your problem. Frankly, given your residence, you should have been more wary as it is harder for you to get a bad one fixed.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Ken, if that rifle says North Haven on it, it was not made in 2014. In fact, it was likely made in Ilion shortly after production was moved there. Remington was allowed to use North Haven on the barrels for awhile after they started making Marlins in New York.

The quality of Marlins got a lot better in 2013, although they still built the occasional stinker. This year the lever gun production has been completely re-equipped with state of the art machinery. You were correct in desiring a 2014 Marlin, as they seem to be really, really good. Sadly, it appears that you got a really old Remlin.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ken, if that rifle says North Haven on it, it was not made in 2014. In fact, it was likely made in Ilion shortly after production was moved there. Remington was allowed to use North Haven on the barrels for awhile after they started making Marlins in New York.

The quality of Marlins got a lot better in 2013, although they still built the occasional stinker. This year the lever gun production has been completely re-equipped with state of the art machinery. You were correct in desiring a 2014 Marlin, as they seem to be really, really good. Sadly, it appears that you got a really old Remlin.
This is what really pissing me off

I was told and read if the letter H is on the barrel then it is 2014 production

the store clerk confirmed that indeed it had letter H

Oh well what the FXXX

thanks

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts