Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 1897 Deluxe Serial 402xxx. I am guessing this was probably made in the early teens? As you can see it is a beautiful rifle and I do wonder about its originality as it almost looks too good. On the plus side fo being all original it came out of a local estate that was all high end Winchester lever actions. This was the only Marlin. The more I have looked at it, the more I think if there was ever any work done to it it was a long time ago as there is wear on the case colors and fading on the lever, etc all look right. The one thing that seemed strange it does not have the caliber marking on the left side of the barrel? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the originality of the sights? The rear is a Lyman.

Thanks, Clint

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think you should sell me that rifle so I can keep it safe ;D. Very nice rifle.

No idea on originality, but honestly who cares when it looks like that. Just a downright beautiful rifle. I'm just trying to work through a purchase of an 1897, and let me say in short it looks NOTHING like your rifle LOL. It's a real fixer up'er but should be some fun.

I would love to get a deluxe. Very nice, thanks for the pics.

HB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The barrels on the 1897 didn't have the caliber markings. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen until the Model 39. As for originality it looks very good. Only question I would have is I've never seen a Model '97 with a cased breechbolt. Every one I ever owned was blued. I'd just need to have some input from someone who's seen more, or owned more to confirm the cased bolt.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Clint,
That is sure a dandy looking rifle. I'm no expert on 1897's, so I won't be much help. That rifle looks so good, I might be inclined to wonder if it isn't a recent restoration by one of the professionals (like Turnbull) ?? One thing that strikes me is the shaprness of the checkering.
At any rate, that is a beauty.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Thanks! I sure couldn't tell that it is blued. It's a spectacular gun!
If you don't mind taking it apart, you might be able to tell by looking internally at the various parts. If things are a bit too new or too clean inside it might be a hint.
Personally I wouldn't care. It's such a nice piece I'd enjoy it, and not worry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more I look at it, the more I believe it is correct. I had thought all the 1897's were marked "22 S, L, LR" so I thought that was odd that there was nothing. There is wear here and there. It is hard to tell in the pictures but the right side of the receiver has some thinning and the checkering on the foreend has some smooth spots. All the screw heads were filled with crud and when I took it apart there was some old baked on crud on the inside. The bore is perfect. I got my Brophy book today. Sight has correct "H" on the bottom of it. I can also look in the empty holes that the tang sight screws go into and see a couple of the digits of the serial # on the stock without having to remove the stock.

Clint

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That's a Fine looking 1897! ;D, A lot of old Marlins came with Lyman tang sights, but even if it did, rarely are they in the factory records. Yours is a little high for the records as they only go to around 355000. The front sight doesn't look like any in the old Marlin catalogs, but been on a long time! Great Find!

CJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very pretty gun! I have a 1897 half round too-but it doesn't look like that! The front sight looks as if it has be replaced or up graded and the magazine tube is a lot shorter than mine, mine goes almost the length of the 24" barrel. A very nice find!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Very nice rifle. Beautiful!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah the good ole days...

We know so much more thanks to the MarlinOwners Forum! Here is my WW1 A serial 1897 showing the Calibre markings on the half Octagonal barrel. Circa 1918+-.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
We know so much more thanks to the MarlinOwners Forum! Here is my WW1 A serial 1897 showing the Calibre markings on the half Octagonal barrel.
View attachment 92483
I realize this thread was started almost 21/2 years ago, but looking at the OP's pictures then at Yaterbob's picture, I see that both have three screws on top of the receiver. Is this original or were these rifles drilled for a scope mount later?

Tim

P.S. Oh forgot to give praise for fine looking rifle.

Reactions: Yaterbob

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
I realize this thread was started almost 21/2 years ago, but looking at the OP's pictures then at Yaterbob's picture, I see that both have three screws on top of the receiver. Is this original or were these rifles drilled for a scope mount later?

Tim

P.S. Oh forgot to give praise for fine looking rifle.
Yes it is original. It was drill and taped for the Hepburn Sight, on the bottom of this catalog page.
They called it a Marlin Combination, but it was designed by Hepburn, and usually goes by that name.
1905 catalog pg 29.jpg

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
The owner, must have had some deep pockets, considering the half tube, perhaps extra fancy wood, etc., the "extras" list hasnt got too many more slots to fill. I suppose full nickel plating and engraving are all thats about left.:biggrin:

The color of the colors, look correct too me, with their hint of red and straw yellow that re dos rarely exhibit, or at least the more recent ones. I susppose if a guy did one lets say in 1937 or some such, their processes were closer to what Marlin actually used.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That's one fine lookin rifle! :congrats:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice condition and all wood and receiver looks original (see my pics yours is a match!) except for the side of barrel where the Calibre marks would be it appears it had some work there as the barrel edge at the receiver and flat area appear rounded and sanded. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts