Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Marlin 1895

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Vic in Va 
#1 ·
Whats up fellas?

Newbie here. Just picked up a new Marlin 1895.

Probably be a lot of new folks like me joining sites like this from Ohio. For the first time in recent history, certain caliber rifles are legal in Ohio during the deer gun season. Most straight wall cartridges are legal.... 444 Marlin and 45-70 are on the list.

Rifles are hard to find right now. The Marlins and Henry's in 45-70 are a hot item, as is ammunition.

Which is my current dilemma. 45-70 ammo is non-existing on store selves. Every shop says its backordered and the do not know when they will get any in.

Who woulda thunk that the 45-70 would be selling like hotcakes?

Any ideas? I guess I'm going to have to break down and start reloading at some point. Been saving the .223 and 7mm-08 cases for years.

Also, though I haven't been able to shoot it yet, seems like Marlin/Remington finally are getting their act together....fit on this rifle is top notch, action cycles smooth.
Just a fine looking rifle. As were the other 2 (both guides) that I looked at. Yeah, both the guides sold while I was there...

All I know, its going to be nice not spending $15 bucks on 5 sabot's in the future...man I really hated the shotgun only crap. Will be very strange carrying a lever rifle after 30 years of shotguns.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pictures. Anyone singing the praises of Remington is required to show proof. Pictures are proof.

Welcome to the Forum from the Allegheny Mountains of Central PA!

Cheers!

Mike T.

#5 ·
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country.

A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

Reactions: msharley
#6 ·
I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.....Old dogs and all. After reading all the horror stories on this interweb thing, I was pleasantly surprised by the 1895. hope she shoots as good as it looks.

I do some hunting in Somerset county, PA. buddy's family has a camp there. Shot a pretty nice 8 point last season. The antler restriction is resulting with some nice bucks in PA.

#12 ·
A 45-70 is a great BEAR gun, but if you shot an average size PA deer with that big a caliber, you stand a good chance of blowing away a lot of meat.

Mike T.

#7 ·
Hey 409,

Welcome to MO.

There are several firms that "mail order" ammo. (Buffalo Bore and HSM, come to mind)

The 45/70 really "shines" with handloads. A good cast bullet at 1500 fps, will handle all hunting chores. (and most accuracy work, as well) LOL

Good source of bullets (not loaded ammo): Penn Bullets INC. | Custom Cast Bullets and Moyer's Cast Bullets, cast lead handgun bullets, cast lead rifle bullets

Here is one mail order firm Cheap 45-70 Government Centerfire Rifle Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Able Ammo There are several others.

Been using the 45/70, for a long time (longer than I care to admit) LOL Rolls venison.......like bunny rabbits.

Later, Mark

#11 ·
Online ammo lists have 45-70. Like In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies and http://ammobot.net/ There are many others. Prices about the same. Expect to pay about 1.50+/round. Suggest you buy something other than the Hornady XTP if you are going to reload. The Hornady brass is a bit shorter than standard to accommodate the longer ogive on the jelly tip bullet. It's a nuisance to keep the brass separate as the dies must be readjusted for the short Hornady brass. That being said, they shoot very well with execellent accuracy and kill deer like Thor's hammer. But then, so do the cast bullets in reloads.

Welcome from just outside Cincinnati!

#17 ·
Thanks for the tip. I was going to ask which location. I'm closer to the northern store, but may be heading to Columbus in a week or two. Will have to stop in.

Do you recall the price on the Federals?

#16 ·
Welcome from WV. Good to hear positive things said about any Remlin, and yes pics are a necessity to someone that has felt the sting of poor QC from Ilion. My Guide needed a little extra investment to make it right, but was WELL worth the effort. I wish I had a before shot though...

#20 ·
Welcome from the great plains of Kansas. Enjoy the forum.:beerglass:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.