Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey marlinowners! I hate for this to be our first meeting but oh well.

I just picked up my brand new Marlin 1894c about 2 months ago and haven't had time to shoot yet and thought I better do so before finals begin.
Well, I got off about 150 rounds and everything was smooth. However, on the last magazine I was going to shoot, the second cartridge got stuck in the magazine and would not release onto the carrier (this can be seen in first pic). After fidgeting with it for a while I decided I better go home and do some research.

I first tried to remove the lever and disassemble the action so I could try and remove the stuck cartridge but soon realized the lever must be half way open to remove the screw, which I was not able to do because it is stuck all the way open. I then read a few things on these forums and saw that it was an easy fix and all I had to do was remove the magazine and I would soon be on my way.......until I tried to remove it.

As you can see in these pictures the magazine tube plug screw is severely bent at such an angle that I cannot remove it, I never noticed this and must have come like that from the factory because I have not touched this thing since I bought it. So I will obviously be ordering a new screw asap, but what are my options, should I cut the screw out? I don't have anything that small to fit in there and snip at it with. It has also occurred to me I will have to fix this myself because there are 8 rounds in the magazine and cannot send it off for repairs. So....suggestions? comments? I need some help please. ??? ??? :'(

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Hey Brandon,and welcome to MO. You have thought of eveything I would have.Yep its got to come off. Lots of quality problems latley with the new Marlins.Tomorrow youll have more qualified people giving you advice than me. Ive just stoped by to say I feel for ya and Im sure help is coming.I started on here with a question too :) Youve come to the right place.
Welcome from South Carolina, Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello gunrunner, and thanks for your insight. I only hope this is a minor issue and I did not make a mistake purchasing the gun, I am a college student and this was a very indulgent buy. :eek:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hey Brandon,
Is the lifter what has the round stuck in the mag tub or is it just stuck in the mag tube and you don't know what has it stuck?
I have a 336 that frustrates me in the worst way cause the rounds will get stuck in the mag tube periodically too. It is a 3030 and it looks like the hole in the receiver is just out of round enough that the rounds get hung up. They actually get stuck in the reciever before the lifter stops them, without touching the lifter. I can cycle the action and sometimes they will pop free, other times I've had to push the rounds back up in the mag tube with a pen. I have cleaned and dissassembled this rifle and everything looks fine so that is why I am not sure exactly what to do either. Anyway good luck with your 1894C and please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
882 Posts
On Marlins, to close the lever, the carrier must rise to the level of the chamber, then drop to let a cartridge out of the magazine onto the carrier. If something prevents the carrier from rising, the lever will not close.
First you need to push the cartridges back into the magazine. A wooden chopstick or popsicle stick will do. Try pushing the cartridge from the loading port or the ejection port. This may free the carrier enough to let it slide past the base of the cartridge and allow the lever to close.
Second, remove the lever screw. This will take some pressure off the lever and carrier and may allow you to close the lever enough to remove it.
Once you can remove the lever, also remove the bolt and ejector. Then re-install the lever and screw without the bolt. A properly timed 1894 will feed cartridges from the magazine and partially chamber them without the bolt in place.
If you can't remove the cartridges by working them through the action, you can work them out through the loading port with your finger or a wooden stick once you have freed the carrier.

Send the rifle back to Marlin/Remington. They should repair the magazine plug screw under warranty and correct the jamming problem.
Let us know if this solves your problem.
M.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
brandon91, welcome to MO!! Your problem sure seems to be a nasty one. Seems you are correct about the magazine screw being bent, if you can see if you can back it out and take the magazine tube off. You might try to contact Erik ( Eli Chaps ) Swany, Tomray or Halwg, they have more knowledge about Marlins than anyone else I know. Take care, keep us in the loop, John.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
+1 On what 80hp said!

And welcome to MO!

Jon

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Try 80hp's advice though if the magazine tube has actually moved forward, it may be quite frustrating trying to get the round back into the tube. Go slow and walk away if you find yourself getting mad. ;)

If you follow 80hp's input and still can't get the rounds out, you can pull the trigger plate off (provided as I said you can get the lever and bolt out).

Here is a thread on disassembly" http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,26786.0.html

Do you have a smith anywhere nearby?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I followed 80hp's advice and tried pushing the cartridges back in, but I could not seem to get the right angle to put enough pressure on the round to get it to move (remember there are 8 rounds in the tube). Also, after more closely examining it, the carrier looks like it is pushing slightly upward on the case, making the base of the cases lip hang over the entrance to the magazine tube, further hindering me to be able to push them forward. I fidgeted with it for quite a while trying to move the carrier or pry the cartridge down enough to release with no avail, I'm also not too comfortable prodding at the primer end of a tube full of .38 specials. So, what now? I'm guessing the only other option would to cut the tube screw out some how. Any opinions or suggestions on how to cut it in that small of a space ??? . And I cannot remove the trigger plate as the lever is stuck fully open, and can't be removed.

PS. After looking through the expanded view of my rifle in the manual it appears there should be a stud in between the magazine and the barrel that the screw goes through that is not there? Maybe that is the reason it became bent, some one forgot a part at the factory.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
brandon91 said:
Ok, so I followed 80hp's advice and tried pushing the cartridges back in, but I could not seem to get the right angle to put enough pressure on the round to get it to move (remember there are 8 rounds in the tube). Also, after more closely examining it, the carrier looks like it is pushing slightly upward on the case, making the base of the cases lip hang over the entrance to the magazine tube, further hindering me to be able to push them forward. I fidgeted with it for quite a while trying to move the carrier or pry the cartridge down enough to release with no avail, I'm also not too comfortable prodding at the primer end of a tube full of .38 specials. So, what now? I'm guessing the only other option would to cut the tube screw out some how. Any opinions or suggestions on how to cut it in that small of a space ??? . And I cannot remove the trigger plate as the lever is stuck fully open, and can't be removed.

PS. After looking through the expanded view of my rifle in the manual it appears there should be a stud in between the magazine and the barrel that the screw goes through that is not there? Maybe that is the reason it became bent, some one forgot a part at the factory.

Thank you
On my 1894 the screw that is bent on yours doesn't thread into the barrel, but just into the top side of the mag tune. At the tip of the screw is a centering pin that sits in a little groove cut in the bottom of the barrel. It is the barrel band that holds the mag tube on, and if you take the front sight off you can slide the barrel band off, and then maybe have a little room to cut the end of that screw off and take it out. At least that is how I remember mine was put together. I don't have my rifle here to look at so am going by memory, which isn't that great. Best of luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
1st: put you some safety glasses on.

2nd: Take the buttstock off and remove the hammer spring. You don't want ANY tension on the hammer when messing with this situation.

3rd: remove the bottom screw on the base plate. then remove the left side screw. THEN, remove the hammer screw.

this 'should' allow the whole bottom to drop out. Your lever is probably still attached to this bottom portion and will come out also. Now you can remove the lever screw to separate the lever.

Those loaded rounds in the mag tube 'might' start to spew out. Now you know why I wanted you to put on those safety glasses. IF those rounds don't come out.....DON'T PANIC. They will when you perform step #4.

Turn your rifle upright in order for your bolt safety block to freely fall out. If it doesn't freely fall out, don't mess with it.

Anyhow, here comes #4:
now remove the carrier screw. This will allow the carrier to fall out and then your bolt safety block might be easier for you to get out.
AND, those rounds in your mag tube will fly out everywhere.

This should clear up your situation.

Now, to save me some typing time, if you want help in reassembly and other general info on this, call me at 865 984-4455. I'll be glad to help you get it all back together in no time at all.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Widowmaker, thanks so much. That worked like a charm, as soon as I dropped the lever those rounds came right out. I took everything apart and I am currently wiping down and oiling everything. After I clean and oil the barrel, I'll put everything back together and make sure it is feeding properly. However, I still have the issue of the bent screw, though I think I can manage to get it out now that the action is no longer hung up.
So I'll be ordering a new screw on Monday, can anyone confirm that I am definitely missing a stud between the barrel and magazine?

Again, thanks a lot widow and to everyone for their input. 8) 8) 8) :)

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
brandon91 said:
Widowmaker, thanks so much. That worked like a charm, as soon as I dropped the lever those rounds came right out. I took everything apart and I am currently wiping down and oiling everything. After I clean and oil the barrel, I'll put everything back together and make sure it is feeding properly. However, I still have the issue of the bent screw, though I think I can manage to get it out now that the action is no longer hung up.
So I'll be ordering a new screw on Monday, can anyone confirm that I am definitely missing a stud between the barrel and magazine?

Again, thanks a lot widow and to everyone for their input. 8) 8) 8) :)
Cool, glad you got it.

If you have two barrel bands you do not have a stud. You have a band screws that slip into half-round holes in the mag tube and barrel and then the mag tube plug screw that threads into the barrel.

I don't think ordering a new screw is going to solve your issue. Those holes should be aligned and no new screw in the world is going to make that happen. I would call Remington. :-\

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the band screw is fine its the mag tube plug screw that you can see in the pics. It is so bent that I can't back it out. Maybe now that the action isn't hung up I can fidangle it off.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
brandon91 said:
Yes, the band screw is fine its the mag tube plug screw that you can see in the pics. It is so bent that I can't back it out. Maybe now that the action isn't hung up I can fidangle it off.
It would seem to me that if both your band screws align properly in their respective slots but that plug screw is that offset there is a real problem. I can only guess the barrel was D&T'd incorrectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ggrrrr... ya I don't really know how to get the tube off at this point...might just have to send it back. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
It could be that the mag tube is bent at the receiver end and that is why the mag tube plug screw is bent and the cartridges hang up. I can see where a green builder could, under time stress, try and force the tube and alignment to make it fit. That is the only thing I can think of that would bend the screw and have feed problems. Just be careful of the mag spring and wear the safety glasses. It will fly outta there like it was fired.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I took a closeup of my 1894CSS tube cap screw - please forgive me - I touched up the slot at the bottom of the barrel just a bit to show it more clearly - -

Note that the screw goes up from the bottom and the threads are at the head end and the top is just a post that goes into the slotted channel in the bottom of the barrel. To me it looks like the "POST" part of your cap screw is totally buggered up and if you unscrew that it will mess up the threads at the bottom. If you have not already taken it out I hope this will show what it looks like.

The second picture shows the Tube Cap and Cap Screw in the way it goes up into the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the pic, and no I haven't taken it out yet because I don't really know how to go about doing so. :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts