Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and new to the board. I've been "lurking" for a few weeks and you all have taught me so much. Anyway, this past February I purchased a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag/44spl., with a blued barrel. My decision was a simple matter of logistics...to carry a long arm with the same chambering(s) as my S&W Mod. 29. I haven't had the opportunity to fire the '94 yet, since I have otherwise been pre-occupied...BUT I have "broken the action in by many cyclings while watching TV. Afterwards I lightly oil those areas where my hands made contact with the metal. Tonight I discovered what APPEARS to be a RUST STAIN/BLEEDING on the right side of the Trigger Guard Plate and the Receiver. This has me wondering if there is similiar rusting along the seam of the two parts. As I said, aftrer cycling the action, I always lightly oil and wipe down metallic areas, ans as an aside my hands NEVER sweat and in fact, the skin on my hands is quite rough and dry. My questions are: has anyone else ever seen this and since I am going to have to "touch up" the blueing after I buff off the mar, which blueing agent do you believe will work best on this minor "Plastic Surgery"? It's not a large area, but noticable to me. Thank you all for any advise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
CAPTAIN JIM,
Congrats on your model 1894. My absolute favorite, pack around all day, game getter is my 1894 in 44 Maggie. I put a 1x4 Leupold with Burris superlo mounts on her('cause I can't see too well). The Birchwood Casey bluing pen is great for touching up. I keep one in my smithing kit. These are available at any of the big suppliers (Natchez, Midway) for about 4 bucks. Brownells Oxpho blue is another good choice IMHO.
By the way, I am from Bergen Co. N.J.
Welcome to Marlinowners
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GOOD MORNIN', MUZZLEDUSTER...thanks for the words of encouragementand advice re the "touch-UP PEN". That is why I am here...TO LEARN. I thought about sending the new rifle back to the factory, but I am certain that somehow I would be held at liability for the flaw/defect, and many times it is just not worth the hassle. Yep I know what you mean by old eyes...actually, I've discovered that my eyes are just fine...it's just that my arms got shorter and everything is smaller (you ever TRY to read the instructions/warnings on a can of MARINE BOTTOM PAINT!!!??? Thanks for the "SCOPE INFO"...I've also been trying to find the best vision accomodation for my tired old peepers. Ocean County here (formerly a Jersey City boy.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Capt,

Call Marlin with your concerns. They have friendly knowledgeable people and are very easy to deal with. They always treated me as a valued customer despite my most obscure questions.

Jim H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your assistance. Yep...gonna call Marlin tomorrow, Wednesday, to get the poop re. my "concerns". ..as an aside. Actually, I joined this forum because I believe that even though the product is engineered and manufactured by "experts", the REAL EXPERTS are all of you on this forum. You all ARE the true "QUALITY CONTROL" MASTERS. Thank you, again.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to MO.... :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts