Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on this forum used the new issue of Marble's Sourdough front sight? And how did it work out for you?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Whats a sourdough sight??

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Have you given any thought to a Williams Firesight? It might work better in low light. I have never liked the brass beads because of the glare you can get from the sun shining on them.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
papa bear,

Haven't measured or really thought about that, yet. Been busy dialing in my 35 Whelen for Missouri whitetail hunt.

big medicine,

I have an assortment of FireSights but don't really care for them for the same reason you don't prefer brass. To my eye the FS changes size depending on how much light it is getting. In the dark timber it is small, in the clear blue, wide open spaces it glows much larger. Just a preference on my part and I have never noticed the shift of impact due to brass beads throwing a bright spot. I know Frances E. Sell and others used to preach about that. And Sell's solution was using a sourdough-type post. He also advocated using a file to alter brass beads by flattening the top and sides, then putting an angle on the face. I am actually thinking I will try that on some of the 3/32 beads I already have.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
big medicine said:
Have you given any thought to a Williams Firesight? It might work better in low light. I have never liked the brass beads because of the glare you can get from the sun shining on them.
Back in the "old days", the Sourdough front siight was THE sight to use with a receiver sight. Redfield was the original maker. The way the brass portion is made, you don't get the bad offside reflections that come from a bead. A proper Sourdough has the brass portion totally flat.
The originals had only about halt the amount of brass shown on the Marbles version. I once had a 1917 Enfield rifle in 30-06 that I had customized around 1958. One of the things I wanted on the rifle was the Redfield Sourdough front sight. The gunsmith couldn't get one as they had already been discontinued due to Redfield's going exclusively to making scopes. I have quite a few Winchester m94, and 64 rifles plus a Marlin or two, all with receiver sights. Guess I'll have to scrounge up some coin and order me a bunch of those sights for those rifles.
I've used them before on friend's rifles and yes, they work.
Paul B.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ordered three for my rifles. Have one on a Browning 1885 Low Wall, a Marlin Ltd., and a 1903 Springfield.

My 56 year old eyes just don't handle beads and firesights very well. A square post is just the answer. I found that out when I got an M1 a couple of years ago. The sourdough is just the ticket and the gold top is OK. I think its value will really shine in the woods deer hunting. So far, I've ony plinked with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts