Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a M375 and have a few questions:

1. Can I use any 38-55 ammo in my 375, or am I limited to a certain bullet diameter?

2. I don't reload yet, so I need to use factory loaded ammo. For ammo other than the Winchester 200 gr load, I've found: Reed's, The Hunting Shack, Wisconsin Cartridge, and Buffalo Bore. Are there others?

3. I'm leaning toward installing XS or Skinner sights, but don't know which aperture size is best for me. I'll most likely use it on wild boar, mule deer and larger, (except Brown and Grizzly bear) with a max range of 200 yards. Any ideas on aperture size?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Stars & Stripes Ammunition has a couple of loads too:

375 Winchester

HAWK
250gr FP $46.99 1,914 FPS

HORNADY
220gr FP $28.99 2,007 FPS

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
You may as well take the plunge now and start saving right away. Buy a decent kit, (they are all good) the single stage outfits run the gauntlet on prices but normal caveat is you get what you pay for, they are reasonable and will last a long time. My personal opine is to get a kit from RCBS. They are not fast but do last a long time, and will load from .25 acp to some very large magnums.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
As far as apeture size gods for hunting the BIGGER THE BETTER! A larger appeture lets thru more light and the eye automatically centers the front sight in the apeture.

Hip

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
rosewood007 said:
1. Can I use any 38-55 ammo in my 375, or am I limited to a certain bullet diameter?
I'd stick with factory 375 ammo, for a couple of reasons. Most M-375's have .375-.376" bores, and much of the 38/55 ammo is loaded with bullets of .377-.381" diameter, raising potential pressure issues. In addition, there is more than one standard length for 38/55 ammo, and the longer one is noticeably longer than the M-375's chamber. Not good!

When it comes to pressure, 38/55 loading data can ALWAYS be used in a 375, but not the reverse.

Be forewarned, reloading ammunition is downright entertaining, and you'll quickly find yourself shooting up your reloads so you can load them again. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the good info guys.

I want to get into reloading ASAP, but there just isn't room in the apartment unless I get rid of the wife, and she....does things for me a reloading bench can't.

Rosewood

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Papajohn, why can't one shoot 375 Win in a modern rifle chambered 38-55?
Yeah, I know about the higher pressure thing and I wouldn't shoot 375 in a 100 yr old rifle.
But, if I got a modern (made in the last 20 yr) 38-55 CB rifle, 1:18 twist, it seems to me that 1) the 375, being shorter in length, would in essence be a 38-55 'short' and shoot just fine, and 2) 18 twist in the CB would decrease the pressure. The only fly-in-the-ointment that I can think of is if the CB chamber is WAAAY bigger than the 375, and that could allow the case to burst. OK, Papa...show me where I've gone wrong.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
In a modern gun, you'd probably be okay, but still close to the ragged edge of safe. That's not a place I like hanging out.

In fact, if I'm close enough to see it, I'm too close.

Just because you can probably get away with it doesn't make it a good idea. I would hate to be the guy who wrecked a nice rifle by betting on "probably". :p

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Hi there Rose,

PJ is absolutely right, you are talking about two different cartridges ...two different calibers. One is a .375 and the other is a .380 cal. Would you shoot a 30-30 in a 32 Special rifle? They are on the same case just different diameter bullet, just as 375 Win. and 38-55. It is a common misconception that they are the same. Close doesn't count........this is not horseshoes. Now if you don't believe us I suggest you try it, fire a 375 in your 38-55, it will not hurt the gun but.............the bullet will rattle down the bore and come out sideways. ::) Same as shooting 30-30 in your 32 Special, who knows where the bullet will go.

Take PJ's word for it, you are talking about two different cartridges, don't mix them.

As for shooting 38-55 in a 375, DO NOT DO THAT for reason stated in PJ's post. You may get away with it a few times but it's only a matter of time until you ruin a barrel. The over length cartridge and over sized bullet will destroy your barrel. Don't ask me how I know this.. ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy your 375 it's a great one. I hope we have answered your questions.

JB

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
J,

The reason I ask is because I see Buffalo Bore has 38-55 load with a .377 dia bullet that according to their website "is recommended for use in all rifles chambered for .375 Winchester". It sounds like this practice is okay if you know the diameter of the bullet and length of the case. Since I don't reload yet I'll just stick to 375, or 38-55 loads from established companies such as Buffalo Bore that have tested the load and found them safe in 375's.

Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Buffalo Bore is in error. I believe that load is with a cast bullet and will work fine in the 375. The error is that it is inaccurate in the Marlin 38-55 and my older Winchesters which have bore diameters of .380 to .382. It is possible that their bullet is soft enough with a stout charge to obturate enough to fit the 38-55 bore. However, I think it is irresponsible of them to imply that the two cartridges are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Rosewood007 - Check with local stores that sell reloading equipment, or local gun clubs. Tell them you are interested in learning how to reload ammunition. You will probably find someone locally that will let you set in for a few free lessons. First step is get a couple of recent manuals. Do not just read them, study them. They will give you the basics of how it is safely done.
I agree with Swany in recommending RCBS equipment. I began reloading with RCBS back in the mid 60s. They have been excellent people to deal with over these many years. They are still honoring their "lifetime warranty".
A lot of reloaders will have equipment for sale they have out grown, or that has been replaced by upgrades. Again, like Swany stated, properly taken care of good equipment will last a life time and can be passed on to your children, along with your favorite firearms.
Be forewarned however, reloading can become addictive in it'self. Some even find it relaxing, and nothing beats the feeling you get when you start getting better groups with your reloads than you do with commercial ammo. Too, wait until you gather your first game animal with one of your reloads.
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. Shenandoah

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
JBledsoe said:

Buffalo Bore is in error. I believe that load is with a cast bullet and will work fine in the 375. The error is that it is inaccurate in the Marlin 38-55 and my older Winchesters which have bore diameters of .380 to .382. It is possible that their bullet is soft enough with a stout charge to obturate enough to fit the 38-55 bore. However, I think it is irresponsible of them to imply that the two cartridges are interchangeable.

It's not a cast bullet, it's a JFN bullet and this is specifically what they say reference the load, called: Heavy .38-55 Winchester Rifle Ammunition

QUOTED FROM THEIR SITE:

......Heavy 38-55 Winchester Ammo - 255 gr. J.F.N. Bonded Core .377dia.(1,950fps/M.E.2,153 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

This heavy 38-55 ammunition is for use in any firearm chambered in 38-55 or 375 Winchester that is in normal working condition and is designed to be used with smokeless powder.

* Bonded Core Bullets

NOTE: Item IIC is recommended for use in all rifles chambered for .375 Winchester.

END QUOTE

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Those Buffalo Bore bullets are too big for my Marlin 375 and too small for my 38-55. What are they thinking? A jacketed bullet that is .002 oversized will cause excessive pressure in my 375 Marlin. The same jacketed bullet that is .003 undersized will permit blowby in my Marlin 38-55 which has to be a negative for accuracy and barrel life. No thank you.

Thanks for posting the quote, 336ER.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
JBledsoe said:
Those Buffalo Bore bullets are too big for my Marlin 375 and too small for my 38-55. What are they thinking?
Their logic is probably something like since the round is loaded to 38/55 pressure levels (up to 30K PSI or so) it should be safe in a 375 Winchester, which allows a peak pressure of close to 50K.

I wouldn't use it, myself. Sounds like a flawed compromise.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think Buffalo Bore makes great ammo and I find it hard to believe they would state a round is safe for the 375 if it actually produced excessive pressure levels. Doing so is a sure way to get sued when someone gets injured. Midway sells Buffalo Bore products and they must trust them as well, other wise Midway could also get sued if they sold BB products to someone who was injured by them.

I do wonder how/why BB expects one cartridge to work equally well in two calibers. I'm curious enough to give them a call tomorrow if I get the chance. If anyone beats me to it please post BB's response.

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

PJ is right, it's probably loaded to 38-55 pressure and thus safe in the 375 which operates at a much higher pressure. I have never fired jacketed bullets in my 38-55's (2 Marlins and 3 Winchesters) and I have never fired a Buffalo Bore round in anything, so I do not speak from experience. However, I do know what my bore sizes are and .377 does not fit anything that I have.

So, I am very curious to hear what BB has to say about this "one size fits all" ammo. I may speak from experience but I still have a lot to learn about the great old 38-55. Please post your findings.

JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts