Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a new to me loading tool for my 38-55. I couldn't help but try it out right away. Cast some pure lead bullets as I am pretty sure that is what would have been cast in it back in the day. The bullets came out pretty good I could have let the mold warm up a little more before casting the first couple. I did find that the mold starts to get a little warm in the hand after the 12 I cast. Bullets dropped at .378 and sized to .376. A little small I would think for my .380 bore but that didn't stop me from loading one up to see how it looked. The bullets weighted in at just a hair under 257 gr. (256.8 gr) Next step was to deprime a fired case which I did with the decapping pin that came with the tool. I just put the pin in the case put it in the tool and squeezed and out came the primer. Seated a new primer next then off to the powder. I decided to load it up with some cartridge grade Geox black powder and found 45 gr (volume) to work nicely. Set the bullet in the shell as it fit easily by hand to right on top of the powder. inserted it into the seating/crimping part of the tool and out came a nice looking loaded cartridge if I do say so myself. The bullet under the other 11 is the sized one and it is the one to the right in the picture with 3 bullets.

IMG_20140317_165108_826.jpg IMG_20140317_165306_193.jpg IMG_20140317_165357_011.jpg IMG_20140317_171946_609.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is good idea and really very slick. I don't know why they do not still make them other than it would take a while to cast enough bullets to do much shooting with as warm as it gets. Looks like I might be casting with the welding glove on.

·
Premium Member
15,433 Posts
very nice

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
You see them in different calibers on ebay all the time, prices usually go for well under $100. eh

·
Registered
142 Posts
Farmer, Those old Ideal tools are neat. It is not often that you can find one with the decapping pin.They also were supplied with a powder scoop or charge cup as it was called back in the day. I've loaded 32-40 with mine. Only drawback is the thing gets so hot when casting a lot of bullets. I wrap the handles with leather and also wear gloves. Fun to do it like the old timers did.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Really nice and a great part of history. I almost pulled the trigger on one on ebay a while back. Now you have me tempted again.

In my mind I can see the old boys around the campfire or cookstove in the bunkhouse using one of those.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been looking at them for a while and finally decided to get one. I think I might need one for 45 colt. The funny thing is when I bought it I didn't even know the decapper came with it. The seller never said anything and the pictures never showed it. Imagine my surprise when I opened the tool and the decapper fell out. I found that one of my Lee powder scoops worked perfectly for 45 gr of the Geox.

·
Administrator
27,859 Posts
Hey Farmer72, thanks for sharing that. It is a slick tool and something seems familiar about it. I wish my memory was as keen as it used to be but I want to say my grandfather had one of these or something very similar. Heck, it is right on the tip of my mind too.

Thanks again
Jack

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey guys -- The more modern version is the Lyman 310 tool. Unfortunately they don't have the bullet casting capability the old Ideal tools had. Best regards. Wind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts