Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would post my load info here as it seems to be so hard to find on the "net" for the Henry 45/70. I spent the last few evenings prepping a new bag of 200 Starline Brass...Sizing, Tumbling, Trimming to 2.095, Debur outside, a quick inside twist to clean up any internal burrs, expanding the case mouth, THEN loading 10 rounds.
I used new Hornady 45/70 Dies (Custom Grade) with a Lee Crimp die. I looked everywhere for realistic PSI (Max) and CUP levels. The range of info was huge. Hornady Rates the 45/70 in modern lever rifles to 40,000Cup, but other literature goes as low as 28,000 PSI, with Posted Loaded Factory ammunition from PMI at about 33,000PSI.
QuickLoad defaults to 28,000PSI and about 31,908CIP. Needless to say, I looked at regression equations to establish CUP vs CIP correlations, set a 35,000PSI limit and ran QuickLoad with H4198 and Starline overflow weight.
Hogden's site by far has the most aggressive loads of 55g to 60g(C) of H4198, and Hornady was at 51.2g (max-load) H4198. I settled on a load of 50.5g H4198 (about 10% lower than Hogdon's "start-load") that should push the 300g Hornady at 2082 fps with about a project PSI of just under 35,000.
I should get in some testing on Sunday, and will share my results. As expensive as reloading is with this powder gobbler, I will try one load at a time and look for a sweet spot. I wanted the velocity at or less than 2000fps at 25 yards to maximize the bullet structure and function of the Hornady 300g HP.

At these projected velocities, the bullet combo would be awesome with a mildot scope to about 300yards zeroed at 150yards. The drops correspond very well with the mil-dot spacing at 200, 225. 250, and 300 yards. That said, this is my sons hunting rig, and he wants only the peep sight (AND he has young eyes).

Without further rambling here are my load specs:

Trim at 2.095in
Hornady 300g HP (#4500)
COAL 2.550in
Starline new case
CCI #200 Large Rifle
H4198 at 50.5grains
Lee crimp
Group at 100yards =(To Be Filled in Later)
Measured Velocity 10 feet from muzzle (To Be Filled in Later)

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
OK, I'll bite. What is the intended purpose of this load?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'll bite. What is the intended purpose of this load?
Just a deer gun. I would have preferred the Hornady 350g, but like everything else out there, impossible to find (and Hornady suspended the production if the 350g). I just want a well rounded load that will work well for most game (not bear, or things that want to eat you). This is being set up for an 18 year old son that still thinks soaking up recoil is cool and the only way to go. I could have pushed it much harder, but why? For the intended game this SHOULD be a good choice, but I am new to the 45-70. I am a firm believer in a 357mag in a lever for deer, as we have harvested many deer in OHIO with the old .410 shotgun slug (and I use 300win Mag or a 6.8SPCII for almost anything when hunting out in the Western States).
I have many years reloading, but I am new to casting (only about a year and still defiantly learning). I am sure I will eventually make a cast bullet of a Wet drop Wheel-Weight type cast for this rifle (to expand upon the hunting options for this rifle).

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Sounds like you are good to go handloader. That round should do the trick if it shoots well from your gun. It's definatly warm, but not overly so. Should be fun to shoot. I noticed on the Buffalo Bore web site that their hot 45-70 load [email protected] is approved for the Henry, so needless to say it will handle stout loads for sure. Good luck.
JB

·
Registered
1 Posts
That load is Almost identical to my load that I used for Russian Boar hunt last month. Only thing different is I used IMR 4198 and a Nosler 300Gr. bullet. Plus I used my Ruger #1 (I just bought my Henry 45-70 yesterday...) The Henry will be used on my next boar hunt.

But, the load put down a 410 LB hog very nicely from about 130 yards away!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on this load: Three deer taken in Ohio with this load for gun season. The ranges were 15 yards, 30 yards, and 75 yards. All three shots were broadside and were complete pass-through. All three shots either hit or nicked the heart. The lungs were obliterated. None of the shot deer ran for more than 30 yards. This is an awesome load, but is destructive if you hit a shoulder to the meat. Best shot placement is just behind the shoulder blade to try and only hit rib meat.

However this load was fired in a Marlin. We tried to sight in the Henry, but it is going back to the factory. The OuterMagazine tube started shifting forward while shooting factory loads to get in paper. This seems to be a known issue to Henry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts