Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined a new lease this year. My brother-in-law talked me into joining. He had not seen the lease, but he had seen some of the deer taken on the lease and they were big. Never join a lease on your brother-in-laws advice unless you have seen the property.

I visited the lease this past weekend. It is one huge cut over. No trees over 8 foot tall. It is mostly brairs and pine saplings. They have mowed shooting lanes criss crossing the property. They have sowed wheat in the shooting lanes and put out feeders. You hunt from a box stand. One of the older members said, you just set in your box stand drinking sodas and eating sandwitches with a heater until you see a deer that you want to shoot. The distance maybe 10 yards or 400 yards.

This is not my type of hunting. I like to locate food sources, bedding areas, travel lanes, and bottle necks. I want to earn the trophy. No offense, but this is more like target practice. Like it or not, I have paid my money and I am going to have to live with it this year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In Laws! :?

Guess that lease is good to have if one's disabled or something. Not some peoples cup of tea though.

You could always make the best of it and not use the "motels" and hunt outside the blinds with a bow or revolver. Up the stakes a bit.

Chef

·
Registered
729 Posts
I maybe could understand this if it were set up for disabled hunters or someone that was physicilay unable to actively hunt. To me this is not the true meaning of hunting, I call it shooting. I will probably get flamed for this statement but I don't believe in baiting either. My definition of hunting is matching your hunting skills against the animal you are hunting by trying to outsmart him.

G

·
Nightrain52 said:
I maybe could understand this if it were set up for disabled hunters or someone that was physicilay unable to actively hunt. To me this is not the true meaning of hunting, I call it shooting. I will probably get flamed for this statement but I don't believe in baiting either. My definition of hunting is matching your hunting skills against the animal you are hunting by trying to outsmart him.
I have no problem with what you say and for the most part agree. But I would be very happy with a setup like that to use when it's raining :D I don't like sitting in the cold rain trying to hunt 8)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to get into the spirit of the new style of hunting offered by the lease. I traded my 30-30 Marlin and a 22 pistol for a 270 Winchester bolt action rifle. I didn't really care for the 22 pistol, but I hated to give up the 30-30. It shot really good groups and I had slicked up the action and trigger. Money wise, it was a pretty even trade. Now I have got to go to the range and start practicing for 200 to 300 yard shots. It will be nice to be out of the rain, have a heater, and a cooler of drinks and sandwitches. And I still have my 375 Marlin and 35 Marlin. But I will miss patterning the deer and setting up for a close shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts