Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
I have worked on many wood lathes not metal. But I assume the functions and skills are very similar. slow and steady and yes a mentor if you can. looks like fun can't wait to see what you make

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
Wow! I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat myself! I learned the basics at CCI! We had a big lathe! Self taught machinist! Send it to me!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
Did you find the rest of table that goes with it? If not you can mount it on a table for sure! Metal lathe always come in handi!
It's the tools that's expensive!

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
Great score!

Get some scrap materiel. Pipe. Cold Roll, such like. (practice cutting threads?)

Chuck something up. Hit the switch. Stand back!

You'll be a runnin' that thang in a couple months!

All a wonderin'....how it is ya got this far without it! :LOL:

·
Registered
789 Posts
... yes, but if among your acquaintances there is a lathe-worker by trade, it will be precious to you, even just to watch him work _ can you post a photo of the tools that eventually come with your lathe?
(first: keep an eye on the spindle tightening wrench, the square section one, remembering to remove it from the spindle before startin' the lathe, because I got it on the nose sometimes :) )

·
Banned
203 Posts
NICE. No help here I’m afraid, I’m still learning how to operate my HF mini mill. I did take some machining classes at a local community college when I was 25 but a wife, son and a full time job ended that, I’m 70 now and learning about my mill. Just installed a belt drive on it. Life’s a circle. Good luck

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you find the rest of table that goes with it? If not you can mount it on a table for sure! Metal lathe always come in handi!
It's the tools that's expensive!

ca'jun56
It was sitting on a plywood table next to a 5 ton arbor press that I couldn't get! Does this supposed to have an oil reservoir to keep the work cool?

·
Registered
789 Posts
...cutting oil/fluid can work, but old school's guys used a mix of emulsifiable oil and water, distibuted with an hand-oiler over the working steel blade_
the most delicate point is the sharp blade of the tool_ you can buy the tools (not so costly as milling-machine tools) or build them yourself from raw special bars, sharpening them on the grinding wheel (an art in itself)
the blade should work at a constant temperature, keeping it refrigerated with oil so that, when overheated, it does not lose its qualities_ p05133.jpg

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
yes, cutting oil/fluid can work, but old school's guys used a mix of emulsifiable oil and water, distibuted with an oiler over the working steel blade
the most delicate point is the sharp blade of the tool_ you can buy the tools or build them yourself, sharpening them on the grinding wheel (an art in itself)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
everything above!

·
Registered
789 Posts
SAFETY:
NEVER forget protective glasses_
beware: some cutting fluids/oils (the best here was Chesterton, efficient and poisonous, now banned :) here, of course) can stun you to fainting when brought to high temperatures_
no hair in the wind, dreadlocks, loose sleeves, please_
your fingers don't grow back again easily, etc. etc. _
for now, GO SLOW and STAY SAFE !

·
Banned
3,321 Posts
coolant? if you wannabes real fancy an run on auto feed and stuff like that, a spinach can of oil and a brush will work.
I'm old school and like real books here are a few that are real good.
there was a book that came with craftsman lathes that explains everything real well, lathe operation, there another book called, how to run a lathe, south bend used to print an instruction book that showed all kinds of stuff including how to make tools like drill bits and end mills and spindles and much much more
more advanced books and beginners books used to be available through mscdirect.
nice little lathe you found a real score.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have always wanted a metal lathe. I also have no earthly idea of how to use it. I saw one at a market, and I ran away. I figured I would end up in trouble. My wife is a retired trauma nurse, so would probably live long enough to get to the ER. Good luck on your new lathe.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Mark, respectfully, I disagree :) _ you won't end in trouble : everyone in MO is familiar with the safety precautions for guns, many reload, and everyone uses a pc or derivatives_
a lathe, if of modest size, can be reasonably priced, works with the current of the house, it is not noisy, and can solve an infinite number of mechanical problems, even at home_
gives the same feeling of independence as handloading or casting bullets, asks for a little attention and patience, sure, but definitely make me less nervous than learning to manage a damn pc_
I really wish you your own lathe !

1 - 20 of 41 Posts