Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Took out old kitchen floor and put down new "Smart Core" vinyl floor. Goes together like laminate only much easier. Its waterproof and scratch resistant. Got old lady off my back until new kitchen cabinets are delivered. Hope they are behind schedule on deliveries. I want a weekend off. Working at home pays poor and with a torn up kitchen you get lousy grub.
Laminate flooring Hardwood Wood Floor Wood flooring

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Did a kitchen renovation myself once. Had the counters professionally installed. Counter man asked who did the cabinets because they were level and true; then offered me a job. I said "you can't afford me, I'm an engineer." It does pay poor, but those cabinets were well and fairly laid as we say about a keel laying at the shipyard.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Did a kitchen renovation myself once. Had the counters professionally installed. Counter man asked who did the cabinets because they were level and true; then offered me a job. I said "you can't afford me, I'm an engineer." It does pay poor, but those cabinets were well and fairly laid as we say about a keel laying at the shipyard.
I worked in a cabinet shop for two years doing engineering work out in the factory. Until my bosses were fired and someone found out that I was getting engineer wages and was laid off because they suddenly realized they couldn't afford me either.

Same thing happened to the safety and compliance manager too.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice job!! I recently helped my son turn an outbuilding into a nice "man-cave". We laid down vinyl flooring but it was one piece cut to fit. Looks like oak hard wood. Family members couldn't tell the difference.:biggrin:

Again... nice job!! Thanks for posting. Good luck with the cabinets!

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I install that snap together vinyl once and a while. It’s ok. Better that laminate in a kitchen because it’s waterproof, and does not have to acclimate for 72 hrs. Does not scratch as easy as laminate either. But, it does scratch. And replacing one piece is a pita.

I would not lay it under the cabinets. I’d wait till the cabinets are in. Just in case you want to replace it with tile in a few years. Ripping out laminate that is under a cabinet in a royal pita. Gotta use a toe kick saw.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I only got $650 in the floor counting underlay. I hate one piece vinyl and won't lay it for money anymore. When old cabinets come out have to put underlay under them, and piece scrap under them just for leveling purposes. If floor last 5 or 6 years it will be worth the money and time. Old woman's happy that's all that counts. Now it's bead board and new base and trim, that will cost more than floor. By the I'm I'm done will have north of $6K in the project.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Anything will scratch under right circumstances. This stuff comes from Lowes and I'm saving the guarantee. Haven't heard anything bad about it till now. I will tell you one thing about Water Proof floor systems. The flooring itself may be waterproof but if seams-joints arent sealed water will get under it and rot wood. I have seen OSB X 3/8" used for underlay. If water gets to it floor will destroy itself when it swells up.

I use the hardboard that flooring outfits use and float all seams will leveling compound. I didn't use any kind of sealer on joints like you would with laminate in a kitchen or bath. With just me and wife I figure it will hold up a while, she hhasn'troller skated for years.

·
Super Moderator
5,412 Posts
Looks good. I hate working on floors. Just kills my back anymore. I tore out all of our 1st floor flooring last spring(carpet and hardwood) and replaced with all hardwood. Glad I had someone else install the floor. Did my kitchen several years ago in 18" tile and my buddy and I hurt for weeks after doing that one. Now back to the important things.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was hard, my wife would follow me down the basement when I went after a tool. She claimed I was straying out into the garage
and playing in my new pile of "Stuff". She stayed right on me even if I took a 5 min back break. I'm finding all kinds of good stuff
like screws, sights and parts. The old guy had everything stored in those cottage cheese containers with no labels or system. Most
are so old they cracked open from trip home in back of truck.

There are unopened boxes of bullets so old the boxes are falling apart. The bullets are discolored and have slight oxidation on them.
If it was just a few I would junk them. I need to find out if there is some thing to rinse them in to clean them up. Most of brass is
common calbers that I don't need and hundreds of cast bullets I have no use for are all going to show in bulk. I got to much prime
stuff to keep everything and don't have the room to store it. Im on coffee break now, just did about 20 boxes of bullets into zip locks
tore end off boxes and put in with them. I'm going to shop for some plastic containers for bullets at Wally World. I hate to have stuff
piled in Zip Locks.

My Bro has volunteered to help. I believe it's a plot to get his meat hooks on some of the 375Win brass. Only found 50 unfired new
ones so far. He ain't getting new, might give him a few 1x if I'm in a good mood.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
It was hard, my wife would follow me down the basement when I went after a tool. She claimed I was straying out into the garage
and playing in my new pile of "Stuff". She stayed right on me even if I took a 5 min back break. I'm finding all kinds of good stuff
like screws, sights and parts. The old guy had everything stored in those cottage cheese containers with no labels or system. Most
are so old they cracked open from trip home in back of truck.

There are unopened boxes of bullets so old the boxes are falling apart. The bullets are discolored and have slight oxidation on them.
If it was just a few I would junk them. I need to find out if there is some thing to rinse them in to clean them up. Most of brass is
common calbers that I don't need and hundreds of cast bullets I have no use for are all going to show in bulk. I got to much prime
stuff to keep everything and don't have the room to store it. Im on coffee break now, just did about 20 boxes of bullets into zip locks
tore end off boxes and put in with them. I'm going to shop for some plastic containers for bullets at Wally World. I hate to have stuff
piled in Zip Locks.

My Bro has volunteered to help. I believe it's a plot to get his meat hooks on some of the 375Win brass. Only found 50 unfired new
ones so far. He ain't getting new, might give him a few 1x if I'm in a good mood.
I use a tumbler to clean dirty/oxidized bullets.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I had the congoleum version of this put in my house last month in the kitchen laundry room and bathroom, could not be happier, my version actually has some texture to it. I opted for a contractor to do it as I knew that I would never be able to complete it to my wifes satisfaction, neither did the contractor, poor guy.......................at least he got paid for his troubles..........

·
Super Moderator
5,412 Posts
I had the congoleum version of this put in my house last month in the kitchen laundry room and bathroom, could not be happier, my version actually has some texture to it. I opted for a contractor to do it as I knew that I would never be able to complete it to my wifes satisfaction, neither did the contractor, poor guy.......................at least he got paid for his troubles..........
Is anything every done to our wifes satisfaction?

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
Took out old kitchen floor and put down new "Smart Core" vinyl floor. Goes together like laminate only much easier. Its waterproof and scratch resistant. Got old lady off my back until new kitchen cabinets are delivered. Hope they are behind schedule on deliveries. I want a weekend off. Working at home pays poor and with a torn up kitchen you get lousy grub.
View attachment 724908
Looks good, now ya can get back to the important stuff.
Ya know, that big ole box of goodies ya got the other day.:rofl::vroam:

RP

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake with this Smart Core flooring. This is first I've used. It's not that expensive but Im putting in
a whole new kitchen and the floor is the biggest PIA next to trimming it out. Kitchen cabinets aren't hard to install. I would much
rather do cabinets than a floor. We built house in 76 and kitchen had had 3 floors, this makes 4th. Not too bad when you consider the
years you have kids. I hadn't heard anything bad about Smart Core, now a little worried I made bad choice. I was going to do 18"
x18" tile until wife saw this stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.