Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new to the forum. Just picked up a stevens 94 c 16 ga. shotgun from the 1950's New in the box The box says stevens arms co. Chickopee MA. I think they moved to westport MA. in 1960 Thats why I think its 1950's . Do you think I should keep it in the box or use it for hunting like it was made for Thanks for any info. Dave

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
About the only one worth maybe keeping for a collectible would be a .410 gauge as they bring a bit higher price.

Of course, the 410 would be the one I would most want to hunt with... I've got two of them and love 'em both but one fits me better than the other due to stock differences. I'm deadlier on bunnies with the little 410 than I am with my 12 gauge. I think I just take a split second extra to be sure of the shot or something. About the only load I use is 2 1/2" 4 shot so there aren't many pellets but bunnies are fragile and don't take much killin.

I guess I'd lean pretty strongly towards shooting it but it is probably pretty uncommon to have one of these with the box in unfired condition. Tough call.

What gauge is yours?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
You know, I'm one of the last people to ever keep a gun from being unfired, but if you could fins out when it was made, I would think that being a 16 ga it may be a bit more unusual, although back in the 40's and 50's folks used 16 ga guns a lot more. My first shotgun was an H&R single shot 16 ga, then I got a Stevens 77F 16 ga pump in 1964.

But if this thing was made back in the 50's and you keep it 50 more years in the original box, then it will probably be worth something. Otherwise i'd shoot it.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Jeez, I don't think I would fire that if it was NIB (Probably fired at factory?} But we still consider them NIB. When people bought a inexpensive gun back in the day they bought them to use. To find one in this cond I think I would put it away. If you really wanted a single shot to hunt with you could probably find one for short money (under 100.00) Good luck with it.
Karl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts