Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have purchased ( on lay by - if you have that in the US and elsewhere) and 336SS in 30/30.

As you would know, this has the shorter 20inch barrel compared to the new 24 inch barrels of the new model.

What are your views as to the affect on accuracy of using the new Hornady ammo for the new XLR Marlins which have the advantage of a 4inch longer barrel?

However, to be quite frank, I did not purchase my "old" 336SS to shoot at much beyond 100 yards to 150 yards max.

Am thinking of getting a scope for the Marlin when it arrives shortly. Any recommendations. I see quite a few 336 30/30 owners have opted for say 1.5-5 type Leupold scopes. I not determined to purchase a Leupold , however they do make fixed and lower powered scopes for this rifle which have proven very popular, certainly in Australia where I live.

The 30/30 is a very popular close quarter rifle for big pigs, a 4-9 or 10 etc x30 or 40 takes away the ability to aim quickly at a pig running at you!

G

·
The rate of twist is different in the two rifles also . Your SS is 1 in 10 and the XLR is 1 in 12 . The 4" in barrel velocity should be 150-200 FPS less in the SS .

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Not going to make much difference in the ranges you stated.. Kahles should be cheaper for you than Leupolds I would think..

·
Registered
472 Posts
While I didn't "officially" shoot the LR for a group, in my comparison test with other factory ammo, I put two LR in essentially one hole at 50 yds with my '71, 336. I don't see how a change in twist, or 4" more bbl is going to do much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting a Firearm in Australia

I do not believe American ( perhaps not Canadian shooters from what I have seen) would believe how hard it is to purchase rifles in Austrlia.

This follows a knee jerk reaction from State and Federal policiticians following 2 shooting rampages in which weapons such as - I think- AK 47s and the like were used . In the worst shooting, over 30 people died.

After that , all semi autos were banned. Unless you are a pro vermin shooter, you cannot own a semi auto ( so much for a Ruger 22/10 etc) and autos would only be available ( if at all) to security forces eg jail officers and maybe Buffalo shooters for culling only.

So it is single action centrefires; however lever actions are OK as I am getting a Marlin 336SS shortly; this was ordered before the new Hornady friendly model was released.

You also need a special permit to hunt on land, unless it is your own.

Handguns are almost a dead duck, apart from crims etc.

All firearms have to be stored in a locked cabinet; if the cabinet does not weigh 300 lbs. you have to fix it to the floor with 4 secure bolts: see how that goes down with your wife. I use nearby commercial storage as the local police regularly check the secure storage of firearms.

I think by now you have got the message.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Removed

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
Yep sucks.. we are headed in that direction thanks to liberal whiney assed Politicians ..
We are NOT headed in that direction, if we all stand firm in the coming election and future years!
Whiney politicians such as Hilary should be put in their place ( better yet, refused any support)( I know, the people on subsistance are Hilary voters!) long before the election becomes a contest!
Just my thoughts on a issue that's always front/center in my mind at election time.
I guess I must confess, I'm a hard core CCW Republican!...... ( I'd be somthing else if there was a MORE conservative party). We (as republicans)may not be right all the time , but our track record is better than the liberals! The future of our country, as we know it, rests with those willing, and up to resisting the liberals!...... The liberal media included!
In closing, If your NOT a paid up member of the NRA, I question why do you even frequent this BB.???
Gunjunkie, I take no exception to your quote above......Your 100% correct if we all don't stand up and get off our collective ass!

Tomray

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Removed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Politics?

My postings were meant to be confined to Marlins and 336SS 30/30s at that !

Any feeback on the suggested scope for the rifle?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Marlin 336 SS
My apologies for hijacking your post. I just had to vent. GJ is a good friend of mine. ......I wanted to counter his thought........Again, my apologies......
GJ, you and I are on the SAME page .....although I admit, My pages are
pretty stiff!

Good shooting to you all

Tomray.
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Tom,

What say you about the relative accuracy of the newfangled ammo in a standard 20" 336?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Marlin 336 SS:

I've got a K2.5 Weaver on my Marlin 336C .35 Remington. I like it very much and have no problem killing moving game with it.. Two years ago I took a nice bear that was running after the first shot and I hit him two more times. This year I killed 2 deer that were flat out at about 40 - 45 yards. I hit them with every shot. Not bragging myself up;just the rifle and scope. My 2.5 is bright, great for shots out to 200 yards or 20 yards for moving game. I've got Weaver scopes on all but one of my rifles and I like them. Very reasonable and I would gladly recommend them. For your stated shooting situations and your 336SS I think you couldn't go wrong.

Hope this helps you. Good shooting!

Range Finder

P.S. Welcome to the Marlin Owners BB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't look passed Burris.
I am definatlly a Leupold fan, as well as Bushnell, but I just installed a Burris compact 2X7X 26 as low as I could get it. The clearity is wonderful and the scope looks like it belongs on the gun. I can't wait to sight it in. :D
If it wasn't for the price I got this scope at I would have installed a fixed 2.5 or 4 power scope. Now I have all the magnification I might need for those possible longer shots with the new lever evolution.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Burris and Weaver scopes

Can't go wrong with either Burris or the new Weaver fixed 2.5x. I had a Compact Burris 4x on my M16A2 in Iraq that was rugged, clear and never lost its' zero. Just bought a Weaver 2.5x that is really impressive. Not overly expensive, compact, clear and adequate power for the 336 .30-30 that I've mounted it (low) on. I've got receiver sights on my other Marlins, but I think I'm going to like this set-up. OIF2

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Weaver K2.5 will do just about everything a levergun gets asked to do. I have one on a Rem. 700 Classic 35 Whelen.

I'm considering swapping scopes between the Whelen and my new 444S Marlin. That will put a Weaver K4 on the Whelen and the K2.5 on the Marlin. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts