Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All.

Longtime Marlin owner, recent lever dude (so recent that my 'new' 336 from 40 years ago is still in the MAIL!)

A friend gave me some gorgeous black walnut. Stump wood. Almost dry enough, AND ...

As a thankyou I was going to make him a stock. Mannlicher is out; even though that is what he wanted, the stump was cut too short.

Marlins came up so he would want a 45-70. I have no place to shoot that, but want an 1894 in .357 to join my Dan Wessons at the range (pistol cal only)

Question:
How close can I get to making ONE set of jigs and fixtures for shaping both rifle stock sets? Specifically the buttstocks, fores will be easier.
Does anyone know how close the patterns are to each other? Or where I could GET full size patterns, even?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I got a message back from bigboreoffroad.
It seems that the action of the 45-70 is the same as the 336, with a different bolt and port.
And...
I found some basic dimensions to rough out the blanks "close to", on a well known stock supply site.

So, I can get started next week, when my 336 shows up (I feel like a kid at Christmas).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured that would be the case - different sized cartridges. That, to me, seems like the easier part: drill for the mag tube, and cut in for the barrel at an undersized diameter. Then inlet the barrel race.

The tangs are going to beat up the buttstock if I am sloppy. I am about to go take apart my 336, and check some dimensions.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts