Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was wanting another lever action but couldn't decide if I wanted another centerfire or a rimfire lever. I actually wanted both but can only afford one at a time. I bought a 336W back in November that I am happy with and that I broke in with a small whitetail buck a few weeks ago. When I bought that I had also really been looking at the Henry rimfire lever actions as well as the Rossi Rio Grandes. I really liked the looks and feel of the Henrys especially the Frontier with the octagon barrel and Marbles iron sights. A couple weeks ago, I stopped by a small gun shop that I go to quite often to see what they would offer me for a snub-nose Taurus .357 mag that I didn't use much. They had several Henrys in the rack including a Frontier with a 20 inch octagonal barrel in 22 lr that had some of the prettiest wood I had seen in a long time. I wanted a 22 lr as opposed to the 17 hmr or 22 mag that they also had mainly because I wanted it for plinking, targets, and small game and 22 lr is much cheaper to shoot. I fell in love with it and just couldn't pass it up. The price was decent and they offered more than I thought they would for the trade, so I walked out with it. Didn't need another 22 lr but really wanted one in a lever especially after seeing this one. I took it out on Sunday but was only able to put 40 rounds through it before dark since I spent too much time playing with my 17 hmr trying to sight it in (plus it was a warm day and the prairie dogs were out and about). I am very impressed with the Henry and very happy with my purchase - no buyer's remorse here. The action is silky smooth, the gun is light and a joy to carry, the wood is beautiful, I like the Marbles sights, and the gun is accurate as all get out so far. I thought for sure I would have to adjust the dovetail sights. At 25 yards, the gun was dead-on out of the box and accurate. I was able to shoot 2 tight 10-shot groups (one off the bench and one offhand) and then was able to fill a pop can full of holes shooting offhand at 25 yards. I don't shoot offhand with iron sights very much, not nearly as much as I did when I was a kid, but I was very impressed with how the Henry shot. After Christmas I need to get out and spend a lot of time with it and run a few hundred rounds through it. As much as I like this Henry, I am now trying to find a way to come up with the money to go back and get either the 17 hmr or 22 mag that are sitting on the shelf.

Attachments

Reactions: Catherine

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Those Frontier's are really nice rifles. I bought a H001 Henry and then ordered a big loop for it. I certainly have enjoyed my Henry as it is very smooth and accurate. Enjoy your new rifle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts