Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just found your website as I have been looking for some info on Marlin rifles and have a few questions I’m hoping you all might be able to help me out with as I am not that familiar with Marlin rifles.

I had a nice older 444 a few years ago, but had to sell it to finish school and now I’m wishing I hadn’t done that. It was a pretty nice rifle and awfully fun to shoot. It was SN: AA5249x. The rifle started out with a longer barrel but I had that cut down after I bought it and a few years later Marlin came out with their short big bore rifles. I was wondering if anyone might know what vintage this rifle was.

As much as I liked this rifle I kinda always wished it was in 45/70. I’d like to find something similar in 45/70 to replace it, but would like to find an older rifle; I’m not interested in buying a new one. Do you know what model a rifle like this in 45/70 would be?

I’ve always liked the look of the straight stocks on lever guns, but I know I prefer a pistol grip type stock on other rifle, an example would be the 1903 Springfield, they are much more comfortable to me to shoot with a pistol grip sock. Do you find that the Marlin rifles with a pistol grip stock are more comfortable to shoot than a similar rifle with a straight stock?

What I would like to do is to find a nice older Marlin in 30/30 and a rifle that is similar (stock configuration and barrel length) in 45/70. I’d love to find them both in a straight stock configuration, but those seem kinda hard to come by in older riles and if a pistol grip stock is more comfortable to shoot, I’d just go that route.

Any help or insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The pic shows a modified first model 444 made in '65. (AA = 1965) The first model of 444 was made from 65 to 69, and unaltered specimens are starting to have collector value.

For a 30-30 like you want, a 336LTS would match your specifications since it has a straight stock and 16.5" bbl. Shouldn't be too tough to find one at an affordable price.

A 45-70 to those specs would require cutting down a first variation of the New Model 1895 made from 72 to 79. These are starting to become a little expensive due to collector appeal. It would be less costly to alter one of the straight stock, 18" bbl Guide Guns to look like something you would fancy. The New Model 1895's are becoming hard to find, affordable or otherwise.

Perceived comfort is quite a subjective topic. Marlin seems to have found that the pistol grip sells better, so that's what they make in larger quantities. I have a 444P with the 18" bbl, and I enjoy it immensely. I shoot it at least 5X more than my guide gun in 45-70. If you want to be shooting a straight stocked, short barreled 45-70 soon, the Guide Gun would be the less expensive more easily procured choice. SW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts