Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting. Sorry for long intro...
I've been using an old Rossi 92 for years. It got me a nice size buck on opening day the last few years.
But I've been itching to get a Marlin 1894C. Got tired of waiting to find an old JM model so I finally got a new one from Academy a few weeks ago.
Debated about peep vs red dot and went with a top rail and Vortex red dot for quick acquisition.

Here's the question:
I've read that it's recommended to replace the trigger assembly with something like the Wild West Guns Trigger Happy setup.
Is this worth doing for the casual shooter/plinker?
Thanks, gents!

·
Super Moderator
15,429 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

I too have a new 1894C and am installing a Ranger Point Precision trigger in it this evening... I have their trigger in 2 other Marlins and love them. They went from 7ish pounds to a crisp 3. And can go to 2.5 or so with the included reduced pressure hammer spring...

Better trigger pull = better accuracy whether hunting or plinking... And who doesn't like to hit the bullseye?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just looked them up. Now have to pick a color. Totally subjective, I guess. Gold bling, or subtle black. Hmmm.
ooh! and I love that easy takedown screw. Gotta get one of those too!
Anyone else have a trigger they like? I assume they'll all be in the $100 range?

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Welcome & congrats on the new rifle.

Reactions: 1Merlin

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congratulations on your new Marlin. I'm sure that you will like it.

I do my own trigger jobs but I have heard nothing but good things about Ranger Point products.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
First time posting. Sorry for long intro...
I've been using an old Rossi 92 for years. It got me a nice size buck on opening day the last few years.
But I've been itching to get a Marlin 1894C. Got tired of waiting to find an old JM model so I finally got a new one from Academy a few weeks ago.
Debated about peep vs red dot and went with a top rail and Vortex red dot for quick acquisition.

Here's the question:
I've read that it's recommended to replace the trigger assembly with something like the Wild West Guns Trigger Happy setup.
Is this worth doing for the casual shooter/plinker?
Thanks, gents!
Trigger was Roy Rogers Horse!!!
Just kidding.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just ordered, received and installed a Wild West Trigger on my 336XLR 35 rem. Easy to install and love it. The Marlin Trigger Flop is gone! I am going to continue to replace the triggers on my other Marlins. I may try the one from Ranger Point next. I was ok with the factory triggers having grown up and hunted with them for years. Then I made a trip to the range with both my Marlin 336XLR and one of my CZ bolt guns and I just had to replace that Marlin trigger.

Hows the "Remlin" 1894C? I know a lot of members like you have grown tired of waiting for a reasonably priced JM .357 and been tempted to go with a new one. Your feed back would really be appreciated. I have heard good things of late. Especially on the 1894C.

·
Registered
978 Posts
G'day from Australia.

I've installed a WWG Happy Trigger on a .336 .30/30 in the past and did not have good results with it. To be fair though I was still using the factory trigger spring which was way too heavy for the trigger to make any difference in weight of pull.

Marlin trigger flop never was great problem to me. It's part of the 'Marlin', so sit back and enjoy it.

So, I've gone back to the original Marlin trigger with a Wolfe spring, with a washer underneath the spring to help with light firing pin strikes. I love it.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Greetings from Rapid City. Who said a trigger change was recommended?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I guess it depends on the factory trigger you received. I suppose I'm lucky, but all my factory triggers have about a 3.5 lb, crisp pull. My heaviest is a 1950's 39a at about 4.5 lbs. The flop has never bothered me. I'll admit, I've been tempted to try an aftermarket due to the strong recommendations on this forum.

Congratulations on the new rifle. Let us know what you decide.

Keith

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Welcome from Midcoast Maine. I have yet to replace any of the triggers on my Marlins. I am interested in the RPP trigger for my 1894 357 Mag and am keeping an eye on Bart's (Scorpiusb) posts. I have purchase other RPP products for my Marlins and could not be more pleased with the quality and support.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
For my money the WWG (or similar other) along with better sights is the best bang for the buck mod you can do for a Marlin Lever Gun.

I did my own trigger jobs for many years and finally got to be decent at it. But.... Sure is nice to send the $$$ in and then take 15 minutes and have a great trigger with a clean light pull and break.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

You'll like the 1894c, I predict.

Cycle the lever several hundred times to get it worked in. It'll get a lot smoother.

I'd suggest you run several hundred rounds through it before you purchase an aftermarket trigger. It may be that you will be ok with the factory trigger. You can always drop a WWG trigger in later.

Not everything aftermarket is an improvement. But the loading gate from RPP is a good idea and will make things a lot easier on your thumb.

Better sights are definitely worthwhile, either a ghost ring or a small low power scope will make a world of difference.

Let us know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts