Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*updated with more pictures*New guy with an old gun. Can you tell me about it.

Thanks for taking the time to look, this is my first post. I own some other marlins but none this old. I am a huge fan of lever guns and could not pass this one up.

It is stamped 38w there is some rust and the mag tube is bent the bore looks a lot better than the outside. Serial # is 11****. It is full octagon barrel and full length tube. Any information and possibly a value and suggestions on any thing to do to it will be greatly appreciated. At some point some one has marred up a couple screws.

Thanks for your hel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,433 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.... Any caliber markings on it?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If that serial is indeed 6 digit starting with 11, then it was manufactured in 1894...

38W = 38 Winchester = .38-40

Looks like it's a model 1894 (not an 1893) manufactured in 1894 (possibly early 1895) in .38-40 cartridge (caliber)...

Best guess from here...

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Big,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best i can tell as far as caliber markings is 38W.

Thanks for the help I can get more pictures tonight if needed. What is the best way to determine value? I think I am going to hold on to it but I need to get a good value on it to determine if I should add it to the insurance.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hello Big un, Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!!

Nice old Marlin you have there! I'm thinkin 38-40 for the caliber, not sure of year made but more detailed pics will help a lot.
Stick around, the forum here is chocked right full of friendly folks with more knowledge than you could ever imagine!

Good luck and Enjoy!
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Welcome from Upstate NY. 38W(CF) is a 38 40. I can tell you you've got a nice old Marlin. How is the bore?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey...nice rifle!!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Cool find! It looks like an 1894 to me. Awesome to see something from so long ago. Welcome to the forum, from Oklahoma.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Welcome from IL! Very nice old rifle! If they could only tell tales...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Add posts to get you up to 25 which will allow you to sell that rifle on Marlin forum. But probably is a keeper.
So Hey from Tennessee!
Turkey season is starting here this weekend.
turkeyA.JPG

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Bore would appear mint, compared too what is generally found and its a rarer caliber. Welcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts