Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, new guy here with a question. I don't have a Marlin yet, but it's at the top of my short list. The other rifle on that list is the Savage MKII. Anyway, I'm looking at the XT-22SR which I thought had a fiber optic front sight. Reading the specs on Marlin's site it is described as " high visibility orange front sight post". But I thought I saw some XT-22s on Gunbroker that actually had an FO front sight. Then in this forum I'm seeing words that make me think it's not FO. My local GS did not have one on hand for me to see. So my question is, does the XT-22SR have an FO front sight or no? I like fiber optics a lot. Not having them could be a deal breaker.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Williams makes fire sights for any rifle.I too was looking into getting an XT22.Instead I am looking into a used Marlin 25n.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The factory sights on the XT-22 are nothing to get excited about. It is not a fiber optic. You'll want a good set of third party sights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The factory sights on the XT-22 are nothing to get excited about. It is not a fiber optic. You'll want a good set of third party sights.
If I buy a rifle without sights (as most are), will the barrel require machining to add sights? I'm guessing 'yes'.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Depends on which model XT-22 you select. Check out the various XT-22 models here and note which ones have a front and rear sight . It seems unless you buy one with a varmint barrel of one threaded for a suppressor, it's going to come with a front and rear sight.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I own two Marlin XT rimfire rifles. The basic XT-22 and the XT-17V. The XT-22 gas a dovetail cut for a front sight. The XT-17 V has none.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The xt-22SR sights are NOT fibre optic. It's a cheap orange piece of plastic. In short, the stock sight is useless. You'll want to get third party sights. I'm putting Williams fibre optics on mine.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
………..and when you get old you add a scope!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts