Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site but not new to Marlin rifles. I've been shooting a 1970's vintage 30.30 336 for many years and really love it. My wife can punch out bullseyes all afternoon with her scoped Marlin 60.

I an awaiting delivery recently of anew 1895 SBL for an upcoming Alaskan wilderness trip. I don't intend to hunt- I'm looking for bear protection and this rifle seems like the best choice for the job. ( with Garrett ammo, of course)

But I'm slowly learning that there are many problems with these new firearms. Without annoying the old members here, could anyone list the issues I should be aware of so I can remedy them? I will be trusting my life with this rifle so failure isn't an option.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas...most of the problems (if any) can be solved with a visit to the 45-70, or the gun smithing section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Of course, the best thing to do is take it to the range and shoot it. And that's what I'd would do with a used gun. But this is a new one with factory problems reported, so it might make sense to look for the obvious mistakes like having the wrong barrel, before shooting it.

I will take the good advice and search the archives for more info.

If anyone has links to relevant threads, I'd appreciate you posting them.

Thanks. I look forward to sharing my 336 and 60 knowledge and learning from all you guys.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's, from Maine!!! :)

Not to worry!!!
These rifles are very basic, rugged and reliable!!!

Most issues are cosmetic..
Wood to metal fit..
Extra dovetail slot milled out on the bottom of the barrel where the 1895gs mag tube mounts..
This can be filled cheap and easy enough..
I added added an sbl tube to my gs and filled the slot myself, some have used nickles or bullets..

Function issues..
Feeding problems,
1. The extractor may have to much tension against the cartridge and doesn't allow it to pivot up before chambering.
Easy fix, bend it out a little.
2. Doesn't feed right out of the magazine.
Timing issue, a little more complicated and may need to be sent back for warrantee repair..

xs lever rail lifted up off the barrel do to the dovetail mounting post not being properly fitted..
This was a problem sometime ago and I'm sure it's been worked out..

Don't sweat it, I'm sure your rifle will be fine!!!
Let us know what you think when you get it.

Good luck!!! :)

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! Great rifles and great to have you here! John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, everyone, for your replies and making me feel welcome.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to get it and shoot the dang thing. Then take it from there.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
If you've never shot a 45-70 before, especially with a +P load like Garrett's, just make sure to treat it like a 12ga for the first couple until you the feel for it. Probably should do your first shots standing up also - instead of at a bench. Never hurts to invest in a quality recoil pad, although that will usually increase your length of pull, but it can really increase the enjoyment of a powerful rifle like the 1895.

Now I have an 1895CB and when properly loaded I don't think there is a beast on the continent that can withstand it - provided I hit what I am aiming at. I hope you enjoy the new rifle, and the SBLs are pretty cool looking too.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi and welcome from Bundaberg, Australia.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Welcome from TN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts