Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found this site because I'm looking at purchasing an XL7 in 30-06 to take the place of a 30+ year old Ruger M77 that I have as my elk and larger game rifle.

The ol Ruger might be starting to show some instability after all these years. I'm going to try a few things to see if I might be able to get it shooting acceptable again for a hunting rifle ( MOA or less at 100 yards) but at the same time, I'm looking into other rifle options and the XL7 has caught my eye as a viable option.

I've read through some of the forum and see that as in any manufactures forum, you tend to read more about the problems than the successes. It looks like the major thing to watch for is tweaked stocks. There also seems to be a fair amount of rifles that have outstanding "out of the box" accuracy and some that need some bedding and free floating work to make them shine. One of the draws to this gun is the factory pillar bedding which is a great feature at this price point.

I do hand load for my rifles and working up a few hunting loads is something I enjoy.

I have never bedded an action and am thinking I might try that as well as relieving the stock on my Ruger to free float the barrel before I jump on the XL7 bandwagon.
I'll get back to reading now and learn some more about this XL7 that is slowly starting to draw me in.

Thanks
Brett in Colorado

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Re: New guy Intrigued by the Marlin XL7

Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts

Hello Brett and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts

Welcome from an XL7 owner! Cross your fingers and get one--you won't regret it.

·
Registered
595 Posts

welcome from florida

·
Registered
386 Posts

Bewarned if you buy one, you just might end up with two, then what do you know a third! I think you have read very well and I don't think you'd be dissappointed with your future purchase. Another Texas hello here!

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts

Welcome from Alabama. I love mine in 30-06. Go ahead. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Hi BNC04, I am from NE FL near Jacksonville. This forum is very informative and friendly. Ask all the qusetions you want. Someone can usually answer your question. Welcome Aboard.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts

Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for all the welcome's folks!

I've been doing a fair bit of reading on these XL7's and will be doing some looking and handling of them this weekend. I fully expect to have one in my safe by Monday!

Great site and very informative.

Brett

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts

Be sure to post pics when you get it. :)

·
Registered
32,303 Posts

Welcome from Bundaberg, Australia.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts

Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts

Welcome from TN, Lonnie.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts

Welcome to MO from Wyo.

·
Registered
125 Posts

welcome from the commonwealth of pa. From what Ive heard the xl7 is a great rifle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks again,, Off this morning to look at a browning A5 is in supposedly great shape, then to the gun show to see if I can fondle one of these XL7's and haggle a decent price. If not, I'll stop by the local gunshop/range and place an order for one

What are you guys seeing for prices locally?
I know Buds has them at 300 with free shipping but adding 3% plus FFL transfer puts it over what I can get it at my Local GS for.

Brett

1 - 20 of 23 Posts