Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum thing but have been reading your folks posts for a while. As of a few days ago, I became the owner of a Marlin 336SC in 35 Remington and it is in very fine condition, and it only has a 3 digit serial number, not including the letter prefix befor the numbers . I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it was made in? The serial number prefix is W and it is in the high 690’s

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! Congrats on your new (to you) shooter and ditto on the pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post a picture of it once I figure out how to upload one from my iPhone. It really is in nice shape, only a very small scratch in the stock on the right side that you can tell has been there for a few decades lol. It has a Simmons Pro series 1.5-5x20 scope on it, which is ok i guess, for the hunting I do in the Adirondack mountains your shots don’t get very long anyway 120yds max, which is perfect for the 35 Rem. I am loading a 200gr interlock over a stout charge of Hodgdon Leverevolution powder it should make for a DRT deer load.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
That sounds like good medicine for both deer and black bear. Which do you hunt?

Welcome from SW Ohio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunt both deer and bear, although I have never seen a bear, I have seen tracks, scat and other signs of bear activity. I hunt around Cranberry Lake in the western part of the Adirondacks not as many dear as down home in central NY area but just enough to keep yourself busy while still hunting, following a large set of tracks and all the while asking God to please let this deer have a set of antlers on it ! I am a big fan of 35 caliber rifles, I have (obviously) a 35 Rem, as well as a 358 Win and a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. They kill so much better than other “common” deer calibers, I am a firm believer in Elmer Keith’s philosophy of heavy bullets at moderate velocity’s and you can just about eat right up to the hole every time 😉

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
:hello:Hello and welcome, cool another 35 'er :shakehands:
How about cast, sling any of that out of that ole 35.
Got a 200 gr powder coated cast over a moderate load of IMR 4198 that just knocks the stuffin right out of 'em.:flute:
JS just sayin

edit: nice, yes Sir, it's an SC, or Sporter Carbine.

RP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have thought about throwing a cast bullet through it just to see what kind of accuracy it will provide, I think that with the microgroove bore, you have to shoot a bullet that’s 2 thousandth’s of an inch larger and have them made of fairly hard alloy?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question for you all. I was thinking about loading some of the Speer 180gr flat nose HotCore bullets. But I can’t find any in stock anywhere online or in store, anyone know if Speer has or is going to discontinue this bullet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts