Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your .444

Range depends upon the loads you are shooting, the game you are shooting at, and your level of proficiency. That being said, it will be effective for deer out to 250+ yards. And pretty soon, someone else will be along telling you it will also take elk at that distance. But you will have to do your homework and know how to hold for those distances.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

I am a great fan of the 444. I have shot and killed game out to over 200 yards yet I don't like to do so. The gun will shoot to a distance out to over 600 yards but you have to keep in mind the drop of the round and the energy of the bullet at any given distance. The farther you shoot then of course the less energy your round has. In the old days the old Buffalo hunters shot the Bison at distances out to 1000 yards with a 45/70. That is just a big brother to the 444. I for one would never try for a long kill like that with my 444's but I do feel comfortable if I had too to make a kill out to 400 yards. On day to day hunting I try not to make a shot over 200 yards. On deer I have rarely shot one over 75 to 100 yards. To me part of the fun of the hunt is the stock of the game for a close kill. Not to see how far off I can kill something. On prong horn I would not bat an eye at giving a 300 or 350 yard shot with my triple 4. I may even try one at 400 if I felt I had too. I don't have the info to pass along on Mussel pressure and velocity. You can find it in reloading data and Remington puts out that info on their info for factory shells and different calibers. I am sure the max distance you can make a good kill with the 444 will suprise you. I just don't know what that distance is. I know I have shot paper out to 500 yards and the drop of the bullet was alarming. I feel for me a good distance is 200 yards and I will leave things there. That is for me others I am sure have other ideas about what they think and I respect that.

Reactions: rr11 and farmboy

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners Forum, There are plenty of folks here that will help you with your questions
Hello from Louisiana

Team 45-70 #1214
John

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The easiest answer is 200-250 yards. What constitutes enough power or what is reasonable, effective or ethical ranges all remain debatable. I think if a person fails to make an ethical shot to 250 yards with a 444, it's the shooters fault and not the rifles.

Reactions: farmboy

·
Super Moderator
16,019 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome aboard. 200-250 is what I try to keep my shots at, of course closer is better, but my kid killed a deer with one shot running at 220 yards. You will like this gun more every time you shoot it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome aboard from Georgia! Shots out to 250 yards are not unreasonable if the right bullet weight is used.

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Welcome from Key Largo, you will love the 444, like riflemann said, the more you shoot it, the more you will like it, give it a chance. If your shot placement is right, they drop in their tracks, no run offs, no tracking for half mile. I would not trade my 444 for all the tea in china, that`s just me. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Welcome from SC, no matter what I hunt or with what cartridge or rifle platform, my intentions are always getting as close as possible, for me and my T4, I would feel very comfortable with my loads of taking Elk size game at 225 yards.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Texas

texas ii.jpg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome from Minnesnowda. Listen to these guys that have been shooting a 444 for a while. Another great resource is Beartooth Bullets tech notes. He has hunted with his for 30+ years.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Just a heads up, if your rifle has a micro-groove barrel, it may not do well shooting the Hornady Leverevolution round. Some microgroove barreled rifles shot the gummy tip stuff, but more do not. So if you do not know if it does, you probably shouldn't buy more than a box of the stuff until you've tied it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello from Alberta, Canada. I've owned and carried one for many years of hunting. My limit is 200 yards and my longest was a moose at 175 paces on a cutline, DRT. I have a 444S and consider it the best hunting rifle, period. My preference is a peep sight but they scope real easy and the accuracy will probably surprise you. You will hear about the twist rate and suspect yours is the 38 twist micro-groove like mine. I prefer the MG so don't worry about the twist. There is a set of articles over on Beartooth Bullets site that are a must read. Your only real limit is bullets in the range above 325 grains give or take depending on your guns nature. I've never seen the need to go above 285 grains but some guys here might consider me a tiny bit of a sissy.

Most factory ammo is deadly on deer. For deer and black bear the 240 gr Rem would suit my needs. I reload so like the 265 Hornady FN on moose and there are some dandy bullet testing in the stickies and on this page with a new test underway. I've never used them but the two Swift A-frames make a lot of sense to me if I was still stalking grizzly country. There are custom loaders that handle some heavy hitting loads. The folks here will set you straight. It also likes cast bullets usually sized at .432 and a big flat nose for hunting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts