Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

As the title says I'm new to these forums and to Marlin firearms. I'll be picking up my first one in a day or two.

I was in the local gun shop looking for a used 1911 and didn't find one to my liking. On my way out I noticed a rack of mostly Winchester 1894's. I fond..er... handled a few of them and decided right there that I wanted a lever gun. I nearly bought a used one right there, but decided to wait. Something told me it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

The next day I stopped in at another shop and there on the end of the rifle rack was a Marlin 336BL. My jaw about dropped. It looked brand spankin new but it had a used tag on it. Turns out someone had won it in a raffle a while back but didn't want the rifle. So that very morning the owner sold it to the shop. It was unfired and still had the box and manual.

Sweet.... ;D I put it on layaway.

So.... I've never owned a lever gun before. Are there any issues or things I should be careful to look out for? I have been and will continue to read through the forum threads for information. This is a great resource you've got here.

Take it easy...

PN

·
Registered
140 Posts
welcome to the forum. Im am new here too, joined a couple weeks back, this site is awesome for finding any information on your gun..
I just want to warn you....there is one down fall to marlins that you should be aware of

YOU CAN NEVER BE HAPPY WITH JUST ONE!!

i bought my dads old 336 that he sold when i was just a kid. I tracked down the guy who bought it, struck a deal and i took it home

this was about a month ago...now i own that 336, a marlin model 60, and picking up a 336cs hopefully later on this coming week

There is something about these guns...you get addicted

althought im not a expert on them yet...many people here are...so give it time and they will be writing on your thread

congrats on the purchase,, let us know when #2 is on the way ;D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So.... I've never owned a lever gun before. Are there any issues or things I should be careful to look out for?
Look out for spending hundreds more on other 336 rifles!!! Buy used...the newest 336's are a little problematic. ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
"So.... I've never owned a lever gun before. Are there any issues or things I should be careful to look out for? "

Yes sir!! 30TK , 39A, 39 Mounties, 336A, 336C, 336W, 30GTs, .444, 45/70s, .375, all the hyphenated rifles and a heap of others! Is that what you meant? ;) ;D ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Its usually that way with firearms. You can't stop at just one, or even a few. :D

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Welcome to MOs from NE Florida. I warn you, Marlinitis is often spread by casual contact with its sufferers, and you've probably already been infected. There's no known cure for the disease that anyone has discovered. It only goes into temporary remission with the purchase of additional Marlins. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Are there any issues or things I should be careful to look out for?
The only thing you are gonna need to look out for is a new safe....for all the other new Marlins you'll buy!! :eek: ;D

Welcome Aboard.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
PN, welcome to MO!! Enjoy yourself here and as you have probably figured out we are passionate about our Marlins. I do fear you have contracted Marlinitis already, resistance is futile, ask us how we know!!! Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Welcome Young man! You will love that rifle, and even IF you do find some issues, they are easily worked out, either by yourself or any of a number of competent smiths. It's no biggy.
The 30-30 is just a joy to shoot and remarkably effective on game. It "can" be used on elk/moose, but it really shines on deer/hogs and varmints like coyotes. I suggest you work with that one Marlin until you know it inside and out, shoot all you can afford, save your brass, then get into reloading BEFORE you give in to Marlinitis,ha. You can set up that one rifle for a receiver sight/scope combo, or scout scope it, or regular scope it. You "may" want to change out the trigger to a Wild West Happy Trigger ( around $80) for a lighter, more consistent pull, BUT only after you have put 60+ rounds through it. Any new gun takes a while to break in. Congrats..now buy some good hearing protection..most of us guys here are Vets/shooters who long ago lost our HiFi hearing,ha.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Welcome. When I joined this forum something over two years ago, I was perfectly happy with my two Mounties and a .218 Bee, Since then I have been compelled to add four .30-30s (all diferent versions,) a .35 Remington, and a .219 Zipper. There are several more to be added, if and when I come across good deals. This has to be a disease! Good day, Jack

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome aboard. I bought a 336BL a few months ago. They are great rifles, accurate, carry well, and just fun to look at. You're going to love it. Once again Welcome!

Vinman.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Apparently I couldn't wait until payday to pick it up. I guess that one bill will have to wait until Friday. :D

Here it is!!

I can't wait to get it to the range. I'm just itchin for some trigger time.

I'll probably keep it with just the open sites, but I do like that I can easily mount a scope if needed. I don't hunt but I do love testing my skills at the range. Also I feel this will make a good home defense/SHTF rifle to have around.

My other two rifles are both .22lr. This is my first foray into a larger caliber. I've shot many friends' rifles so I'm no stranger to them, just never owned one before.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
PisnNapalm said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Apparently I couldn't wait until payday to pick it up. I guess that one bill will have to wait until Friday. :D

Here it is!!

I can't wait to get it to the range. I'm just itchin for some trigger time.

I'll probably keep it with just the open sites, but I do like that I can easily mount a scope if needed. I don't hunt but I do love testing my skills at the range. Also I feel this will make a good home defense/SHTF rifle to have around.

My other two rifles are both .22lr. This is my first foray into a larger caliber. I've shot many friends' rifles so I'm no stranger to them, just never owned one before.
Thats a beauty! Congrats on a nice rifle! .DT

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
Good for you! Now WE did warn you....in fact Brian in FL Stated:

Welcome to MOs from NE Florida. I warn you, Marlinitis is often spread by casual contact with its sufferers, and you've probably already been infected. There's no known cure for the disease that anyone has discovered. It only goes into temporary remission with the purchase of additional Marlins.

You already have Marlinitis just by the fact that you had to have the rifle....now! ;D

another one falls to the dreaded bug. :eek: :eek: Congrats. Mr fixit ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
that is one really sharp gun, the wood really stands out....

very very nice

cant wait to see your second purchase when it happens....and it will happen ;D

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I hate to inform you Pisn......... but that gun has been recalled.... And I have been appointed by the recall dept to take it and place it in my personal collection ;).... wait. I mean ... to have it repaired and sent back to you when we can get to it ::)...... Great looking gun..... If you find its brother let me know..... Alvan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to MO, PN! I am new to the flock, as well....and am looking for my next 30-30 for a project gun.....Marlinitis runs in my family.... Enjoy the rifle, it sure beauty!

Joe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts