Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Guy Here

886 views 28 replies 29 participants last post by  GITU1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi ya'll.New guy here.I just bought a Marlin 1895 45-70 Govt.(with the 21 inch barrel).Looking forward to shooting it today(1/19/19).I'm gonna pick up some melons to shoot as I love to see what a 400+ slug could do.I bought it from Cabelas who's now co-owned by Bass Pro Shop for $650,a little steep compared to the online gun shops like Bud's Guns,or Grabagun.But she's in excellent shape,especially for a Rem-Lin.As you all know,once Marlin was taken over by Remington,quality control issues weren't good,with problems left and right.According to reviews on Bud's Guns,there were iffy reviews,even some bad ones regarding this model and other Marlin 1895's.News got around,with bad reviews also on Youtube.Then there's good old hickock 45,that older gentleman who test rifles of all sorts out on Youtube.In the video he's seen shooting the Marlin 45-70 Govt with the 21" barrel like the one I bought.I love the custom leather cheek piece he has,which does a nice job showing off the walnut furniture of the rifle.Anyone know where I could buy one like that online.I tried googling it but so far nothing really satisfactory.Ebay has some that I wasn't that wild about.

#3 ·
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

#8 ·
Welcome from SW Ohio.

I'm glad you got a good one. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.