Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Marlin Forum!

Been lurking here for a while, and I s'pose I'm a member of the club with my favorite .22 rifle ever made: the 39A

So I'm wanting a Marlin 1894 with a short barrel <20" and a Ruger Redhawk 5.5", both in the same caliber. My dilemma is between .44mag and .45LC. I will reload for this pair, and use cast lead bullets. I will also want to load some black powder at some point for grins. I will likely never use .44spl brass, as I don't like the chamber fouling I get in my Ruger SP101 .357 when I've shot .38spl. Besides, if I reload, I can taylor my loads to whatever level of shootability to OUCH I want. I believe load data and supplies are in ample supply for both calibers, so it seems to come down to preference.

Does either caliber induce leading more than the other, say from twist rate variation? Also take into consideration I'll mostly shoot at paper and "reactive" targets like plastic jugs etc., so I'll be loading "pleasant" loads. I am leaning towards .45, just sorta 'cause. I'm hoping for some more insight from folks who have experience loading for both.

thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since you are mostly shooting "polite" loads rather than magnums and don't want to shoot 44 special, I think you answered the question yourself. The 45 maintains the same case length throughout the load spectrum, including lighter factory loads, while giving you the option of hotter loads. I've killed a couple of deer with my old 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45LC with Keith SWC at factory velocities and it killed well at 35 yards. I'm partial to 44 mag, but still value the performance of the 45. In your circumstances, I'd buy the 45's and never look back.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I agree with BrownBear, 45LC, because of the 1:16 twist rate in the 45LC 1894. This faster rate seems better suited for the all around use you describe.

There is also a wide range of bullets available for 45 cal. - both lead and jacketed. The 45 ACP crowd typically loads 185 to 230 grain bullets and 240 to 300+ grain bullets are made for the more traditional 45 LC loads. (You can use any of these weights but will be limited to flat pointed ones in the Marlin due to stacked cartidges in the tubular magazine.)

The virtue of the 44 mag is in the velocities that can be achieved from a handgun barrel and you did not emphasize that aspect in your question. In fact you asked about leading which, as you know, will increase with velocity, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You might want to be quick, if your choice is the .45 Colt (a great choice, by the way). My new Ruger catalog does not show the Redhawk in a .45 Colt chambering any longer. I'm really hoping that this is a goof with the catalog, but it wouldn't be the first time that a favorite was dropped from a manufacturer's line. - DixieBoy

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
DixieBoy has a good point. The large frame Blackhawks and Vacqueros are being replaced by the smaller "New Vaquero" sized guns and there may be a change in the wind for the Redhawks.

Davidsons, www.galleryofguns.com , showed only (13) of the 7-1/2" stainless Redhawks left in 45LC. It may be time to see your dealer about the Ruger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts