Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada

I stumbled across this site while trying to search for 1895 GBL reviews. I picked one up earlier today on a whim. I have a 1894 in 44 mag which is my absolute favourite gun (the one and only gun my father ever bought me). I have since noticed this new GBL to be not as well finished and lacking the same quality as my older 1894 :( I know that Marlin was bought out by the same investment group that owns Remington and supposedly there are quality control issues?

Can someone guide me to some info on the newer GBL's? I am nervous that I bought a low quality gun... someone tell me I am wrong please! if it is a low quality gun perhaps some tips on making it a better firearm.

Cheers!
Juiced

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Welcome from TN, Lonnie.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
WELCOME FROM FLORIDA

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Juiced, I sam from NE FL near Jacksonville. We have an International Marlin Owners site where you may be able to meet someone from Vancouver BC.This forum is very informative and friendly. Welcome Aboard.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's, from Maine!!! :)

The GBL is a great all around quality levergun!!!
With Marlin going through its huge manufacturing transformation, I would not recommend buying one site unseen!!!
The fit and finish isn't what it used to be!!!
Look up some dealers in your area and see if they have any instock then check it out!!!

If you do choose to buy one online site unseen, first ask for some up close detailed pix of the rifle all around..
Focus mostly where the wood meets the metal!!!

Good luck!!!
Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
The issues I've personally experienced with recent Marlins (and I'm talking about even before they were aquired) were poor wood to metal fit, and feeding problems. The wood to metal fit was on one rifle and although it doesn't look perfect, it doesn't bother me too much as I bought the rifle to shoot not stare at ;D

I've experienced feeding issues on 2 recent manufacture Marlins. Both were very easily fixed with 15-20 minutes of fiddling with the extractor. You'll know if you have that problem as the case rim will catch on the extractor and it will feed roughly and make dents on the case as it enters the chamber.

IMHO if it feeds well it'll be fine. All of my Marlins have been sufficiently accurate for their intended purposes. ;D

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
15,953 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest - MARLIN® COUNTRY!!!!!

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Welcome to MO from Wyo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts