Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
36 Posts
Howdy, just found this forum and I figured I should sign up. I bought my Marlin 1895 SBL about a year ago in .45-70. It was my first gun and I hadn't gotten to use it much until I got ammo recently. I would have liked to get a single kind of ammo but I ended up picking up a few boxes of different manufactures and weights. I've got a few questions about some stuff I feel I should know:
What's some good store bought rounds to look out for for hunting white tail and elk? I don't know how to reload but I have kept all my brass from shooting.
How often do you guys clean your rifles? Last time I cleaned mine it was pretty bad, I'm not from a very gun friendly background so I'm kinda learning as I go.
Any tips for sighting in? I'm not a fantastic shot but shooting from a bench at 100 yards with irons I was getting some not good groups, could my ammo choices/barrel being dirty have affected my accuracy much. I for sure need more practice but if a certain round works better I'd like to try it out as well.
Thanks guys I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them. Here's a picture of my rifle:
View attachment 858902
Hi! Welcome from France. I like the SBL so much but it is so awfully expensive here in Europe... :cry:

·
Super Moderator
16,069 Posts
Welcome to marlinowners.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The Original 444 Marlin®" Country! Hooaaahhhh!!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome from Western Tennessee!
Good looking 45-70 you have there. Good calibre for LOTS of different critters.
It may be "a bit heavy" for Tennessee whitetails, but certainly not for elk or anything encountered in the Rockies. In any case, last time I checked, there weren't any different levels or degrees of dead. Dead is DEAD> Period.
I'd much rather have more gun than required than less! As Bob Ruark once said - "Use Enough Gun!"

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
373 Posts
Snake,been thinking since I read this yesterday.Your struggle for good groups is probably due to flinching,not amo.Its a common problem all have delt with and big hard kicking guns only make it worse. Your anticipating what is about to happen as you squeeze the trigger.A 45 70 is a tough place to start. If your shooting at a range ask around to see if you can try some less potent calibers, say a 30 30 win or 35rem, both good for white tail,but not so hard on you.Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Snake,been thinking since I read this yesterday.Your struggle for good groups is probably due to flinching,not amo.Its a common problem all have delt with and big hard kicking guns only make it worse. Your anticipating what is about to happen as you squeeze the trigger.A 45 70 is a tough place to start. If your shooting at a range ask around to see if you can try some less potent calibers, say a 30 30 win or 35rem, both good for white tail,but not so hard on you.Just a thought.
Thanks, I'll try that. I've gotten some decent groups before with my friends SCAR. Next time I go with my friends we'll switch guns and try to see if they can group well with mine and vice versa. If I pick up some 405 grains will they be softer than the 300's I've been using?

·
Premium Member
16,061 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,

A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Welcome from Central NYS !

·
Banned
20,659 Posts