Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, just found this forum and I figured I should sign up. I bought my Marlin 1895 SBL about a year ago in .45-70. It was my first gun and I hadn't gotten to use it much until I got ammo recently. I would have liked to get a single kind of ammo but I ended up picking up a few boxes of different manufactures and weights. I've got a few questions about some stuff I feel I should know:
What's some good store bought rounds to look out for for hunting white tail and elk? I don't know how to reload but I have kept all my brass from shooting.
How often do you guys clean your rifles? Last time I cleaned mine it was pretty bad, I'm not from a very gun friendly background so I'm kinda learning as I go.
Any tips for sighting in? I'm not a fantastic shot but shooting from a bench at 100 yards with irons I was getting some not good groups, could my ammo choices/barrel being dirty have affected my accuracy much. I for sure need more practice but if a certain round works better I'd like to try it out as well.
Thanks guys I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them. Here's a picture of my rifle:
Brown Textile Sleeve Bag Grey

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Welcome to MO from VT,
Nice looking Marlin.
Clean after shooting is good idea. Certainly after hunting in poor weather.
Good info here on this site for sure.
Clean bore and hit the bench again. Hornady FTX shoots well in most and is readily available.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Welcome from central ND!

Reactions: TimR

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think TN Hunter lives in your area,may won't to talk when he gets off the banned wagon.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hello Dr. Snake and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Nice rifle! Thanks for sharing and enjoy!!!

Reactions: cajun56

·
Super Moderator
35,978 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
521 Posts
Go on YouTube for how to clean guns. BTW I am in West Tn.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Welcome from Dallas. My wife is from Knoxville (Go Vols!) and we'll probably retire back there in a few years. Beautiful country.

Reactions: Dr. Snake
1 - 20 of 36 Posts