·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

Reactions: Brushpig

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Welcome from central Arkansas. Hard to go wrong with a 336 in 30-30 for your first one. They are affordable, and it’s just a classic deer rifle. That being said, can’t go wrong with any of the older JM Marlins. They will all make you smile.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Doesn't matter much which Marlin you start with. You'll soon have several more. But if you're gonna hunt in Tennessee, a 336 in 30-30 will do very well for you. They are easy to find, and one of the lesser priced models.

But, heck, I've got 6 or 7 Marlins, and I don't have a 30-30 yet, so it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Hello and Welcome from SC Pennsylvania!!!

Reactions: Brushpig

·
Super Moderator
15,212 Posts
I don't think a 30-30 is gonna do it fellas....with a name like Brushpig....a .35 Rem is gonna do heaps better!! Welcome to MarlinOwners!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first gun was a 336 30-30, my dad had a marlin 35 and a 444. I really enjoyed the 30-30 amd 35, I've been looking at the 45-70 but I'm worried the recoil will kill my already bad shoulders (torn rotator cuff and bursitis). I want to go out west for bison, moose, or elk, maybe even a bear. So that's why I'm wanting a 45-70, most of my hunting will be here in Tennessee though.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hello Matthew and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!! Good luck on your search!! 30-30, 45-70, 444, 35, you can't go wrong with any of them, levers are a Blast to shoot!!

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Welcome aboard from New Hampshire.

·
Registered
19,550 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! If you're not into reloading, start! Then purchase that 45-70 and reduce your loads and your shoulder will thank you for it!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Welcome from central W TN.:shakehands:
Most of the areas around you the 30-30 is about all you'll need. Ammo is cheap, most times rifles are reasonably priced.
The 35 Rem is my favorite, but you don't see many here like a little more north. Also ammo is not as easy to find.
45-70 I don't own, but ammo is more popular than the 35 so you see more of it.
But if you decide to load at a later point, well lets get through this first.

RP

·
Registered
29,054 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
978 Posts
G'day from Australia.

Buy a couple; put them in your gun cabinet; and watch them breed (until the cabinet is full). :burnout:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Welcome........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts