Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my first 45-70, a new Marlin GBL.
I found no crack in the receiver, and the fit and finish is quite good - thanks for the heads up in the warning sticky.
I ran a box of Remington 405 JSP rounds through it to get on paper with my Skinner Sights while waiting for a set of Cowboy dies, some brass, and some cast 405's.
My only issue for the moment is lack of powder. I loaded a dozen rounds covering a 4 grain spread using the IMR 4895 I have on hand and tried them out today - not much variation in groups - I think I'll stay at the low end with this powder.
I love this rifle, and am excited to join this forum.
Middkid

MarlinGBL_zpse2c3c0e6.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome
Beautiful rifle you picked up. Nice to here you got a good one.
BTW What size groups and at what range? I needs to know :)

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
MIDDKID,

First, ----- Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!

Dozen rounds with a 4 grain spread ?????????????

That should have given you some idea as to the possibilities of pressure problems with that bullet and powder, but there would be just too many gaps in the info to really tell you if the rifle is going to like and do well with that powder.

Forget trying for "warp speeds" as with a good cast bullet of over 400gr with a Wide Flat Nose (WFN) those velocities will simply not be needed or enjoyable to shoot.

When working up loads, it is best to work up with maximum of a 1 grain spread between test groups and 1/2gr is better if your anywhere close to what the rifle is liking.

Enjoy, be safe and keep us posted as to your results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Banned
303 Posts
Welcome from the People's Republic of Austin, Texas. Like Crusty Dreary old Coot said, with a 405 grain bullet velocity doesn't matter all that much, other than "warp speed" makes for not too enjoyable shooting. You're going to love that rifle in any case.

·
Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Welcome from Micanopy Florida. Nice looking rifle you have there. It sounds like you are going to enjoy this place and buying a few more Marlins.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Howdy from Texas.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome from Vermont.

Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum, thats a nice looking GBL!!

Doc

·
Registered
568 Posts
welcome from a fellow Iowan.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Welcome from Mesquite Texas Middkid ..... you have a nice lookin rifle Sir , we're all hoping it does well for ya man , injoy M/O site . Several 100's of years of experience here with All the Marlin Rifles , Bullet Casting and loading's Esp: in your 45~70 caliber .... Have a Ball with the mo guy's :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

MIDDKID,

First, ----- Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!

Dozen rounds with a 4 grain spread ?????????????

That should have given you some idea as to the possibilities of pressure problems with that bullet and powder, but there would be just too many gaps in the info to really tell you if the rifle is going to like and do well with that powder.

Forget trying for "warp speeds" as with a good cast bullet of over 400gr with a Wide Flat Nose (WFN) those velocities will simply not be needed or enjoyable to shoot.

When working up loads, it is best to work up with maximum of a 1 grain spread between test groups and 1/2gr is better if your anywhere close to what the rifle is liking.

Enjoy, be safe and keep us posted as to your results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
My post wasn't very clear. I was looking at trapdoor data and loaded three rounds each at 46 , 47, 48, and 49 grains.
My groups were at 50 yards and were between 2 and 3 inches. I'm sure a little more practice with the rifle and a little more patience with my practice will help!
From lurking here the past month I have picked up on the idea of looking for good results with moderate loads.
I am looking forward to more load development and more trigger time.
Thanks again.
Middkid

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Thanks Middkid!

That makes things lot more clear.

Practice helps us all, as does a scope for load development.

Ultimately, your marlin should do much better at 50yds when you get it dialed in and find the powder and boolit combination it likes.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners. Great looking rifle you got there. thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Ya got one fine ,lookin rifle there! :congrats:A big welcome from Georgia!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts