Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i pick up my new 1894c this week this is mainly a sport shooting gun . i will mostly be shooting targets with the odd kangeroo shoot.
i have been advised to shoot about 500 jacketed round to wear in the barrel is this right .also is 158gr the best round for the gun as far as wear..
i am new to rifles but have shot hand guns for years and also reload all my own hand gun ammo . thanks in advance for any info
ian

·
Registered
688 Posts
Shoot it, clean it, shoot it some more and enjoy. I'm personally doubtful of the break-in routines so widely discussed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hobie said:
Shoot it, clean it, shoot it some more and enjoy. I'm personally doubtful of the break-in routines so widely discussed.
To me breaking a rifle, means little more than the bullets, polishing, the bore, which goes on for the life of the rifle, if said rifle, is maintained properly.

Bill

G

·
Take it to the range.

Punch holes in paper 'til you know where your bullets are going.

Shoot a rabbit.

Shoot a deer.

Shoot a hog.

Shoot some stinky feral nuisance critters (yer roo, or a dingo)

Repeat.

Then repeat again.

That should do it.

:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
You're gonna love that rifle!

I'm not sure whats available to you over there, but if you can get bulk Remington bullets, you can save a bundle on your handloads. I shoot thousands of bulk Remington 125g, and 158g SPs in my 1894C, and my Blackhawk.

The 158g Remington SP bullets are just about the best "all around" bullets I've ever tried in 357 magnum loads. They're extremely accurate in every gun I've tried them in, and the terminal performance is just about perfect on larger(deer up to 150-175 lbs) game. They offer just enough expansion to give a good quick kill, but still penetrate very well. It's a truly amazing bullet in the 357 magnum rifles if you'll keep the velocity around 1600-1800 fps.

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
Warney 52

Follow Hobie's advice. Clean it-shoot it some, and clean it again when your done.
If you search the markets, you'll find all sorts of products and processes to condition and 'break in' a bore, some with extrordinary claims.
Some will do little or nothing, and some will actually harm the bore.
Keeping the bore clean and dry is your best bet.

Oh, 158gr factory loads are a geat choice to start with.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I'm with Jerry Lester on the Remington bullets, I have been buying the Rainier plated slugs for a couple years, and using the Remingtons sparingly to save a few cents. But I shot four guns today, 2 handguns and two rifles, and they ALL shot better with the Remington JHP's, some amazingly better. My duty gun is a S&W Model 10, I've gotten used to mediocre accuracy with the Rainier bullets, but my partner was absolutely incredulous at the shots I was making today with my lowly 38. We shoot soda cans at 50 yards offhand, and I was hitting 5/6 with the good ammo, 2-3/6 with the other stuff, very consistently.

Once we switched to rifles, the differences were even more pronounced, my 1894SS 44 Mag. shot a net group of .461" for five shots at 50 yards with a 2X scope. So much for economy, for a few cents more a hundred I'm shooting the Remingtons from now on!

And the more you buy, the cheaper they get. I think my next order will be for 2,000! Ain't life grand?

Papajohn the Perpetual Pop-Can Popper

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I find that 2 or 3 trips to the range 50-60 rounds each, cleaning in between, get's me better grouping. Just hit that point with the 1894. Same thing happened with the 336.

BTW, Just ordered some of those 240gr Rem. "Soft Points" For the 44 mag/spec. Been using Rem 240 Semi-Jacket HP's but tried "cast" (44spec. load) Friday night. Did alot of barrel scrubbing Saturday. I'll stick with the jackets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts