Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Gun

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  DannoBoone 
#1 ·
Hey guys i am looking at a marlin xl7 with a nikon scope 3x9x50 for right around 580 including tax, i was just wondering if this scope is worth the money or if there is better scopes out there for a better price. The gun is $319.90 and the scope w/rings is 216.89. Also what caliber should i get i am down between the .308 and the .30-06? Is the .308 more expensive? Sry to have so many question i just wanna make sure that i am getting good equipment that will last me a few years. This is my first rifle if thats not obvious. LOL

#2 ·
Welcome to MO Mr Gunny! You are making a great choice for your first rifle. Just from my limited experience, I will tell you what I have gleaned from these guys. You really need to know what the purpose of the weapon is, what you will be hunting, if you will be hunting.

That being said the 30-06 is one of the most utilitarian do it all calibers there is for big game hunting in the US of A. But, the .308 is another one of those calibers that is just awesome. I bought a .270 for my wife, and my next "X" gun will be a .308. One day I am sure to get the 30-06, but first the .308.

What nikon scope is it? Is it the prostaff or the buckmaster? I bought my .270 on sale for 279.99, my scope for 180 with rings and is a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40.

Hope this helps.
Steven

#3 ·
Hi there,

You can't go wrong with a Marlin, but I'd get a Redfield in lieu of the Nikon. Yes, I'm rather prejudiced towards American-made products. My Redfield 3-9x40 with Leupold STD rings and bases cost me $191 from www.opticsplanet.com . If you want a 50mm objective, get the Redfield 3-9x50 with the AccuRange reticle which will set you back about $230 including rings and bases.

I'd go with .308 simply due to the fact that you can get surplus ammo really cheaply. The supply of Lake City .30-06 has vanished--at least I can't find any--and I don't know how good the Pyrkal ammo from the CMP is.

#6 ·
You can't go wrong with either the .30-06 or the .308; they're both great calibers with proven track records. That being said if I had a first rifle purchase do-over I imagine I would want it to be a .308 for many reasons, not the least of which is accuracy potential and availability of excellent quality ammo for reasonable prices. As far as the scope goes I really don't have much experience with nikon scopes other than word of mouth; never heard anything bad about them. One thing though the price seems a bit high on the nikon, there are a lot of good deals out there on scopes right now if you're willing to do a little searching.

#9 ·
I just bought a 30-06 on Saturday. Check out the details in the "my lucky day" thread. I would have opted for a 308 if they had it. But to find an XL with the JM barrel was what I wanted out of the X lineup.

#12 ·
Good choice for a first rifle. As you have undoubtedly read here, the gun is a good one for the price and even for more than quite a good price. I am also a new Marlin owner and opted for the 30-06 only because I will be shooting elk with it.

In my opinion- for what it's worth.

Look for one marked with a JM on the Barrel vs the REM or REP.
Take a look at the clearance between the fore-end of the stock and the barrel, Try and get one that is even, or at least not touching on one side or the other.

Either caliber will work, they are both popular and as mentioned, there is a ton of 308 surplus ammo out there as well as great target/match ammo for punching holes in paper.

Good luck, the gun will suit your needs.
Brett

#14 ·
The 06 will give you more power, will handle heavier bullets better than the 308, both are extremely accurate rounds, It's a close call as either will fill your needs perfectly.
The scopes, you can't go wrong with the Nikon's, great glass for the money, they may be a bit brighter than the Redfields. Nikon has updated the Pro-Staff line recently, and I have heard the brightness is better on the new scopes than the older models, suppose to be brighter than the current Buckmaster series.
If the store your buying from only has the Nikon's, then I would not hesitate.

#15 ·
I went back to the store and was looking over the barrel of a .270 marlin cause someone was looking at the .30-06 and it had the JM stamp on it. They didnt have a .308 in the store and couldnt even tell me when they would get one so now i am leaning toward the .30-06 especially if it has the JM on the barrel. What do y'all think wait for the .308 or go for the .30-06 now i am leaning toward the pro-staff 3x9x50 also

#16 ·
MrGeoGunny said:
Hey guys i am looking at a marlin xl7 with a nikon scope 3x9x50 for right around 580 including tax, i was just wondering if this scope is worth the money or if there is better scopes out there for a better price. The gun is $319.90 and the scope w/rings is 216.89. Also what caliber should i get i am down between the .308 and the .30-06? Is the .308 more expensive? Sry to have so many question i just wanna make sure that i am getting good equipment that will last me a few years. This is my first rifle if thats not obvious. LOL
I have the 30-06 and love it but the .308 is very nice too. I would get the .308 with a Redfield Revolution because it's a better scope than the Nikon Pro Staff by a hair.

Get Burris Signature Zee rings. They have inserts that won't mar the scope finish and there is no need for lapping the rings either. There are other benefits if you want to shoot past 800 yards with these rings.

#18 ·
go with the 270 JM, i just bought one a couple weeks ago, just because it had the JM. i didn't need it, i just wanted it. ;D but i have been hunting with the same 270 for 30 years. deer and elk. you can get loads from 80 grain hollow points for varmints to 160 grain for deer and elk. i do have to say its a deer killing son of a gun, no punn intended ;D just my humble opinion 8)

#26 ·
I think if you have a Discover card you can in some places, but you're going to pay interest big time. The only other way is a ATM and a pin number that I know of. Mr fixit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.