Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have hunted fowl for years with a shotgun and have many hours of tactical rifle time. Next month I am going on my first boar hunt in South Florida. I purchased a guide gun .45-70 based on things I read about the gun/round and some affinity for history (Teddy R. Hunted with it, I am in). Couple of questions you may be able to help me with:
1. I have zeroed in the rifle at 100 yds with Winchester X hollow point 300 gr. but I am going to use the 325 gr Horniday round, was that a mistake?
2. I will be shooting from a measured 75 yds to feeder, I have a nice scope so I think I can get a round where it needs to go, what is the best shot placement to bring down a big hog without him suffering. I am funny about that, love to hunt, hate to see game in pain. Probably need therapy, but it is how it is with me.
3. What are the chances that I will get a round to exit and hit another boar with that round distance.

probably very basic questions, I apologize for that, I am new to the boar and rifle so I am trying to not look stupid on the hunt. Oh, it is with my clients, so I kind of want to look cool with my new gun too.

·
Premium Member
15,348 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You should zero the rifle with the load you are going to hunt with. I cannot recommend zeroing with one load and using another.

Watch beyond your target, though the Hornady bullet is not known as a big penetrator, its quite possible that you may inadvertently get a "two-fer".

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... What Vic said, zero with the round your going to hunt with, or at the least shoot with it so you know your holdover or under.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with the above replies. I try to hit the hogs in the shoulder, breaks the shoulder and puts them down. Or if they are close, right behind the ear. Pigs are tough and a lung shot or a shot to the center of mass will have them taking off for the brush to die later.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Haven't had the opportunity to hunt hogs yet, but I agree you should sight in with the load you will be hunting with.

·
Registered
464 Posts
After zeroing with the ammo that you will use, take a little time to shoot at targets at different distanced between you and the 100 yard zero and maybe a step beyond. The feeder may be at 75 but when hunting you don't have total control of where the animal will be when you get your first shot and no control if you have to take a follow up shot. The 45-70 tracks like a rainbow and you may be surprised at how high the bullet is at 60 yards and how low it is at 125 or 150.

Reactions: Vic in Va

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
zero it with the gummy tips. i have shot both rounds you speak of and the 325 ftx's hit high because of ballistic co-effecient and muzzle velocity. and the gentlemen from VA and AL is dead on the money.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 8 of 8 Posts